Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at two light systems. The both of them are from planet bike. The planet bike alias 10 watt and the planet bike alias 8 to 15 watt. The 10 watt alias is helmet mounted, but I THINK I can get a handlebar mount. The 8 to 15 watt alias is handlebar mounted, which one would be better for MTBing. Helmet mounted alias is 70 bucks and the HB mounted 8 to 15 watt is $127.00 What do you guys think. Pros and cons of each?
Thanks

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Those systems are pretty good. They have good bulbs and use high capacity batteries. I would definitely go with the 15W. It should be fairly bright and get about 2 hours burn time with a 4500mAh battery. Also check out the Jet Lites M6. It has some nicer features like a fast smart charger but I don't think the battery as high of a capacity as the Planet Bike lights. Extra batteries are fairly cheap if you build them yourself though (see DIY Lights FAQ).

http://www.jetlites.com/m6.html

I much prefer a helmet light. You can see where you are looking and not just where the handlebars are pointed. That works out much better in twisty singletrack. I also think there is less bounce on the helmet light (as long as it's not super heavy like NiteRider). Maybe try to get both mounts so you can try them out for yourself though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts