Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I spend $150+ to replace my Nite Rider classic battery, I thought I should do some research on upgrading my entire lighting system. Who out there is happy with what they are using?

I would like something with the capability of 3hr run time. The classic has been a good system and is nice and bright in dual mode, there seems to have been a lot of advancement in the technology over the last several years. Ideas?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really like my Niterider HID Firestorm 6.0. HID is for sure the way to go. and don't pay retail, you can for sure find it online somewhere for less, I think I paid $279 and at the time it retailed for ~$350ish. It has 3 hours of run time and a smart charger. the battery easily fits in my camelback or jersey pocket. I'm used to the way the Niterider sits on my helmet, alot of riders prefer something that sits up higher like the Light & Motion lights. L&M lights are usually much more expensive an harder to find on sale though.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
MunchkinSS said:
I really like my Niterider HID Firestorm 6.0. HID is for sure the way to go. and don't pay retail, you can for sure find it online somewhere for less, I think I paid $279 and at the time it retailed for ~$350ish. It has 3 hours of run time and a smart charger. the battery easily fits in my camelback or jersey pocket. I'm used to the way the Niterider sits on my helmet, alot of riders prefer something that sits up higher like the Light & Motion lights. L&M lights are usually much more expensive an harder to find on sale though.
I have the L&M HIDs (2 sets) and I love them. THey get 4 hours on low and 3.5 hours on high. I was able to buy them for $269 on sale. You can get great prices if you watch for sales and discount coupons.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Several dozen night riders I know will agree HID units are worth every penny of three hundred bucks. We've had good success with entry level Niterider HID's using NiMH batteries, I'm sure other makes have merit. I would avoid halogen bulbs, dual beams, fuel tanks, etc. After riding with four hours of blazing HID light, there's just no comparison or going back.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I am definately okay with spending just under $300 for a good quality light. I didn't realize you could get the HID's for that price range. Now I just need to find something on sale.

Normally the incremental dollar doesn't bother me too much, but the $400 - $500 retail price tags just seemed like way too much for a light. Of course, after hitting a skunk last week, I probably shouldn't fret.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
GMM said:
Before I spend $150+ to replace my Nite Rider classic battery, I thought I should do some research on upgrading my entire lighting system. Who out there is happy with what they are using?

I would like something with the capability of 3hr run time. The classic has been a good system and is nice and bright in dual mode, there seems to have been a lot of advancement in the technology over the last several years. Ideas?
Take a look at JetLites.
I have two, and the beam pattern is the best I have seen. HIDs are brighter and last longer, but I haven't seen one with a beam pattern as large and smooth as the Jet's. The Halogen Jet's have 3 output settings. At the lowest you could get about 3.5 hours out of it.
I believe Jet is making an HID now too. Customer Service there is also great from what I have heard and my one phone call to them.

-Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
i just ordered a l+m arc hid from universal bikes for $309.33 (NO SALES TAX). they price matched performance and then some. ordered yesterday and recieved email confirm today.
if l+m is the way you want to go.

·
Registered
105 Posts
GMM said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I am definately okay with spending just under $300 for a good quality light. I didn't realize you could get the HID's for that price range. Now I just need to find something on sale.

Normally the incremental dollar doesn't bother me too much, but the $400 - $500 retail price tags just seemed like way too much for a light. Of course, after hitting a skunk last week, I probably shouldn't fret.
Niterider has added many features, (and costs), to their HID lineup. Basic HID is fine for me, no need for LED's, low batt indicator, Li-Ion battery, multiple power levels, etc. Performance has the Enduro HID for $299, various online coupons available to save 10%-$50.

I prefer the enduro battery pack over the water bottle. I usually run HID on helmet mount unless it's dusty or foggy. I have no problem strapping the enduro battery pack to my frame or bottle cage when light is bar mounted.

No question the extra brightness improves safety. HID complaints are blue hue and $100 replacement bulb. Overvolted halogen bulbs come close, but will still have 20-30% less brightness AND burn time than HID for same battery.

Lots of info and options at batteryspace.com. You can get an after market battery pack for your classic at about $50. Lots of MTBR threads on the subject. I've had good results there, some complaints noted. I suggest an HID on your helmet and run the classic on your bars with aftermarket battery. This is my current setup, although I'm ready to spring for a second HID.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,453 Posts
Just to throw a wrench into this - I am NOT a fan of HID.

Too much of a hassle to shut them off in a hurry, in case you want to prevent blinding someone else or have other reasons you'd want to shut it down quick.

And they put out too much light - if I wanted that much light I would ride during the day. Actually, this is a real issue. When I climb, I prefer a much lower light level. Someone with an HID behind me makes my lights useless. I can't even fill in the shadows of the HID.

And ever watch someone with an HID come towards you from a distance? They put out so much light that you know they are coming for miles. Really disturbs the night and attracts undesirables (like moths?).

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Agree with dan. Overall, I prefer the L&M HIDs, but the Jet Halogen are very close and I prefer the yellowish light to the bluish HID. If you decide to go halogen...Jet is the way. They also have the best cable connectors and helmet mounts out there.:thumbsup:

·
Samiam
9 Posts
If the light worked for you replace the battery..

I have brought several of my own and friends lighting systems back to new or better burn times by replacing the tired battery packs with new ones. This sight has very reasonably priced packages (battery pack, cabling and charger) for less than $70 depending on voltage and Amp hours you are after.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=918

I have had very good luck with the batteries, but have not had experience with thier replacement bulbs. I have heard they are less than OEM quality.

I have to agree that the HID lights are almost too bright.... Especially when they are on some one elses helmet when they want to talk to you.

good luck

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
HIDs aren't too bright! People choose to look into the awesome, blinding power of HID setups! It's their own fault!

In all seriousness, if I am going to be flying down singletrack at night, I want as much light as possible on the trail. You can only go as fast as your light. With my L&M setup, I don't think I ride any slower than during the day. When using a halogen, I couldn't keep up with a friend with his HID -- thus making my purchase decision rather easy.

Get the L&M. Local company, great customer service and reasonably priced if you find one on sale. My ARC was $322 OTD at performance. Probably less now... The other light I was considering was the NightPro... which K-Max has and is awesome, for even less money.

Justin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good points regarding downside of HIDs:
- Harsh light. NIce to enjoy the peaceful serenity of climbing by moonlight.
- Too much light output while taking a break or mechanical.
- Annoying to others who don't have HID's (shadows, moths, burnt retinas).
- Visible from long distance, few areas are open to legitimate night riding.

I don't understand the hassle to power down. My HID shuts off instantly with a tap, it's a hassle to push and hold to shut off my "digital" halogen lights. I've come to prefer the simplicity of on/off halogen lights over the complexity of digital power control. The lower power levels are much less efficient, so 1/2 the power consumption yields maybe 1/10 the light output.
Definetely more of a hassle to power up HID, push and hold for the ballast to fire up. There's also an annoying glitch with Niterider HID's where the unit resets and won't light for an uncomfortable minute or two.
I enjoy the sight of HID lit riders off in the distance or approaching. It's a sight to see a train of 40 riders lit to the hilt railing the single track along a hillside.
Perhaps you could borrow an HID to see if it suits you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts