Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
bike rider
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please suggest some steel rotors that are lighter than XTs.
I've seen the Alligators but they don't look like they would provide as much friction.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Lelandjt said:
I've seen the Alligators but they don't look like they would provide as much friction.
Alligators and Ashima's. Plenty of threads on both in this forum with pictures, weights, opinions, reviews, etc... .

BB

P.S. I've been enjoying plenty of friction with the Alligator rotors.

·
bike rider
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Ashima! That's the one I was trying to remember. Problem is seaching Google I can only find one on an Ebay auction, not "buy it now". Anyone know where I can buy these on the web?

·
bike rider
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He has the posting I found on Ebay but like I said I want to buy it now and not wait a week for the auction to end

·
Registered
186 Posts
He has a web store, you can link to it off his ebay auction.
That said his store is out of the Ashima light rotors but he does have 93g steel rotors by a different manufacturer.
Lots of good stuff on his site, pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Avid clean sweep and Magura marta rotors are both under 100g in 160mm size and available pretty cheap!

·
bike rider
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I got the Alligators from PricePoint. Couldn't beat the price and weight.
Rotors $35
XTR levers and hose $120
XTR calipers $140
Pretty cheap for a pretty light and good performing XC brake system.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Batas said:
What about the new Avid G3 rotor?
I have read here somebody stating that they weight the same as G2, which is not all that light. I have a 140mm at 86g, installed mostly to proactively combat howling.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lelandjt said:
One Q? Why only steel ones? I knew - not alu etc. But what's wrong with steel breaking part like at Hope's floatings?

·
bike rider
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you mean 2 piece rotors with and aluminum inner section? Cuz they cost way more than Alligators and barely weigh less, if at all.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Cheers! said:
Hopefully this will be the last brake disc page for a while. There must be one new one every week.
What the heck, merge 'em all into one big collective thread.:thumbsup:

I was scouring the Ashima site today and boy, it sure looks to me like Ashima makes the Alligator serrated rotor (Called the ARO-03) if you go to the Ashima website.

http://www.ashima.com.tw/products_01_01.html

Maybe that is old news to everyone here, but it's news to me - or maybe my eyes are deceiving me. That sure looks like the Alligator.

While we're at it and talking about light rotors, I got an email response from Scrub Components. I had asked if you can use their rotors with the Avid mechanical disc brakes and this is the reply:

Thank you for your email and interest in Scrub Components! We have used our
rotors with no problems with Avid Mechanicals. You probably want to keep
the calipers in adjustment to help minimize the deflection, but I would tend
to do that with stainless rotors as well. I hope that helps, please let me
know if you have any other questions!

Chris

Chris LaCasce
Scrub Components
www.scrubcomponents.com

No comments needed about light rotors with heavy mechanical disc systems as the "irony" card was already pulled in another thread.:cool: But, since I do currently run 2 sets of Avid 2nd generation CPS calipers - it never hurts to tinker and look for ways to trim some weight.

BB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts