Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at replacing my brakes, and I really like the mavic brakes, but I am concerned that running them with shimano levers is going to be a giant pain since they don't have a quick release on the brake. To make matters worse, I run some pretty meaty rubber on my road bike. Does anyone have any experience with this setup?
Other than the zero brakes (can't afford) is there any other options?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
let's see...

i had the Mavic brakes paired to Shimano DA and really liked them. tuned with some Al-bolts they weighed 280g and had better stopping power than DA back then. however the new 7800 DA is the most powerful brake out there and weighs 313g, same as the standard Mavic.

however as you say they have no quick release. i had 20mm rubbers so there was no need to have the release but with 23mm you need it. but then you could also open the brakes with the rather big and handy cable-adjuster bolts. that works easy too and if you don't remove your wheels too often that would work.

the Campagnolo Record is almost as strong as the new DA but weighs 309g.

then you have all sorts of DIA-COMPE BRS 200 brakes , re-labeled and tuned with Ti/Al-bolts (Cane-Creek,FRM,Brew has the same design too). those all weigh around 240g but lack the brakepower of the Mavic or DA since they are single pivot brakes. fitted with good pads they do perform decent and if you haven't too fast downhills they will do the job.
i have some FRM brakes i would sell.they weigh just 235g and have brandnew pads.contact me off the board if you are interested.

I now have the Zero-Gravity and like their light weight (188g with standard pads, 178g with some cut to fit MTB pads). i wasn't that impressed with the brakepower but a simple swap of pads is all that's needed to fire the brakepower. they are kind of hard to install/adjust and the cableclamp is a pain but as said they do a good enough job.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
MetricEee said:
I am looking at replacing my brakes, and I really like the mavic brakes, but I am concerned that running them with shimano levers is going to be a giant pain since they don't have a quick release on the brake. To make matters worse, I run some pretty meaty rubber on my road bike. Does anyone have any experience with this setup?
Other than the zero brakes (can't afford) is there any other options?
Cane creek makes some light brakes as well as Brew Racing Frames.
http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/brakes/04_200sl.htm
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id25.htm

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

thanks for all the great info. I've just moved to an area with substantial downhills, so I am going to limit my search to dual pivot brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts