Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Is everyone using ample carbon assembly compound on these bars?

I've found that if you're a light rider (and you should be with these products), I can use quite a bit less tightening torque for both the stem and the levers and still have no slippage with carbon paste. And tightening torque seems to be a factor in a lot of these part failures.

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
385 Posts
This is my standard test for any Chinese carbon bar, before installing on the bike. I've been through quite a few, with zero issues. From Toseek to Bontrager and race face knockoffs. The Toseeks are still going strong, even after an accident - head on with a bull bar equipped 4WD that left me in hospital with a broken hip and other damage, and the bike wedged under the 4WD. I'm about 96kg by the way, and am not shy about bouncing on the bars when testing. For the price, I'm happy to replace every year or two, especially after a couple of monumental crashes are involved.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is everyone using ample carbon assembly compound on these bars?

I've found that if you're a light rider (and you should be with these products), I can use quite a bit less tightening torque for both the stem and the levers and still have no slippage with carbon paste. And tightening torque seems to be a factor in a lot of these part failures.

Just thinking out loud.
Not me. I use a torque wrench, and absolute minimum torque values. The bars I've used have like a fine sandpaper finish in the clamp area. Levers I'll just nip up until they don't easily slip on the bars. Can still rotate them, but not easily. Worked for many years now for me

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have tested a Chinese carbon to failure before. A buddy and I hung off either end of the bar that was placed over a weight bench in the gym at work. We both bounced off the ends of the bar with all our body weight. It did not fail. Then we inserted one end of the bar as far into the holes on a squat rack (pretty close to where the edge of the stem would be clamping it) and it took a considerable amount of force to fracture the bar. That and the edges of the hole that the bar was inserted into were not very carbon friendly. That was about 5 years ago. The 2nd bar that I bought and installed at the same time has been flawless. And it cost $18, is a 680mm wide bars and weighs about 120g.

I recently had a "duh" moment, rode down the wrong side of an element and at the last possible second, realized that I was going to hit a downed tree pretty hard. I was quite far behind the saddle but still put a significant amount of force into the bar attempting to prevent an OTB moment. The bike stopped quite suddenly with a loud "crack"! I didnt know at the time if it was the handlebar, the carbon front wheel, the carbon steerer on the fork or the carbon leg on the Lefty. I ended the ride because I was uncomfortable not knowing. After going over the bike, I discovered no damage to any of those, but found a seat rail had become detached from the back of my 15 year old Tune Speedneedle. That and the HUGE bruise that I had on the inside of my left thigh where I had "contacted" the seat.

All this to say that I am very happy with my cheap Chinese carbon handlebar.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts