Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
BXT makes a good bar, and I got a couple at $18 each last year. Their new bars are like $60 each, RIDICULOUS.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Those seem to be legit. They also seem a bit on the pricey side. Usually they are around 25-30$
Thank you. Yeah, after some more digging, I found the same bars from the BXT eBay store for he price you mentioned. Later, I came across BXT's Aliexpress page, and it seems they sell everything for quite a bit less there. Do you, or doe anyone else know if their Aliexpress page is as legit as their eBay page? Here's what I'm looking at, for clarification:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Carbo...ike-Handlebar-Bicycle-Flat-Riser/222618711274

vs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32654860885.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.2b493c00ISAj8J&mp=1

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Carbo...Road-Bike-27-2mm-31-6mm-seatpost/222618606321

vs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32823444196.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.2b493c00ISAj8J&mp=1

The prices on Aliexpress are so low that it's seriously mind-blowing. Assuming the Aliexpress page is BXT's legit page, has anyone had any worse service when ordering from Ali as opposed to ordering fro eBay?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have not purchased from the BXT aliexpress page but make sure you look at total cost including shipping. I have purchased lots of stuff from their eBay page (2 handlebars on order now). For seatpost I actually have been going with the Elita ultralight straight post. I think they are sold by simplesr or something like that. But the bxt is decent too. Just a little heavier.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have not purchased from the BXT aliexpress page but make sure you look at total cost including shipping. I have purchased lots of stuff from their eBay page (2 handlebars on order now). For seatpost I actually have been going with the Elita ultralight straight post. I think they are sold by simplesr or something like that. But the bxt is decent too. Just a little heavier.
That's real. The Ali listings mentioned shipping charges, but once in the cart they appear to include free shipping. I'm gonna move further forward in the order process and see if it really is free shipping. If so, Under $30 total for a post and bars is a little intimidating, as good of a deal as it may seem to be.

Are there companies that folks consider to be better quality than BXT, like Tideace, TanTan, or someone else? I see TanTan mentioned for frames, but I'm just looking at bars and a setback post.

EDIT: You were right... they're charging like $18 shipping for he handlebars, but nothing for the post.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,428 Posts
I'd sooner Insert a frayed shift cable down my dick, than buy Chinese anything, if it can at all be avoided...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Considering that you can die if your handlebar fails, is it really worth it? If you lurk on ig right now there is tons of broken high quality carbon bar pics and vids especially on dh bikes.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That's real. The Ali listings mentioned shipping charges, but once in the cart they appear to include free shipping. I'm gonna move further forward in the order process and see if it really is free shipping. If so, Under $30 total for a post and bars is a little intimidating, as good of a deal as it may seem to be.

Are there companies that folks consider to be better quality than BXT, like Tideace, TanTan, or someone else? I see TanTan mentioned for frames, but I'm just looking at bars and a setback post.

EDIT: You were right... they're charging like $18 shipping for he handlebars, but nothing for the post.
Sorry to keep giving my opinion but i do love me some china carbon. Brands like TanTan, Toseek, Tideace, Ican ect. are all from my experience producing decent quality items. I would stay away from anything that has branding that it copying or imitating a name brand's name or logo. would also recommend the bars and seat post direct from DengFu. i have used those in the past and never had any issues.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Since this is back up again; I bought bxt risers for my shed bike maybe a year ago, I got narrow for my narrow trails (660mm, and 146g, I wouldn't buy that narrow again, it was a while ago), I started getting sore knuckles because I think they are too stiff, probably at least partially because of the narrow width and the shed-26er has a near-rigid old rockshox, so I put some aluminum bars on (about 720mm) and my knuckles started feeling better.
I've had bxt carbon road bars on my road bike for over a year, I ride road about 3x a week in summer/warm months, probably 60miles per week or more, they're holding up great, and they're half the weight of the stock Scott/Synchros bars (you'd think they'd put a lighter bar on a Ultegra equipped carbon Foil 20). Bxt road bars went on my kids bike last summer, those are great too. I'm completely comfortable using bxt road bars.

I'm still a little nervous about no-name carbon flat bars on the mountain bikes, I think the cheaper name brands that could be trusted would include Performance/Nashbar, and I've had eXotic risers from discobrakes on my hardtail race bike for a couple of years now. The eXotic are about $80 iirc.
I really like the look of many of the aero/flat integrated road bar/stems, but they're all negative rise/ 'slammed', and my old neck doesn't like road bars that low, - a 61cm bike with a riser stem is still going to have some drop from the seat to the bars, I've got about a 3" drop from the seat to the bars with the stem 'up' now, it would be a 5" drop with the integrated bar/stems that are available now, - too much.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sorry to keep giving my opinion but i do love me some china carbon. Brands like TanTan, Toseek, Tideace, Ican ect. are all from my experience producing decent quality items. I would stay away from anything that has branding that it copying or imitating a name brand's name or logo. would also recommend the bars and seat post direct from DengFu. i have used those in the past and never had any issues.
Oh no, please don't apologize! I appreciate all of your feedback. I went ahead and ordered an Elita One post and BXT handlebars. It's good to know that all of those brands are pretty solid. Thank you for all of your help!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
BXT has risen in sales and brand perception this year and their prices went up, frames were 230 bucks now 500-600 this year. I still said screw buying something as dangerous as bars and bought race face for 120 from jensen.

I buy china frames, and rims and seat post and hubs and seats, and grips, some of its is as high quality of name brands, some you need to use caution. Most frame bearings were not sealed, so lots of maintenance required, and you might as well replace them with sealed and be done with it

So ebay will give you better protection for buyer, and much faster refunds if needed. Aliexpress will side on sellers before buyers and so it better be cut and dry or no refund which at best takes 6-10 weeks after purchase. Ive bought 30 ish items from ali and only had 1 go south and I got my money, but every once in a while your item gets hung up in customs for 3-4 weeks on top of the regular 2 weeks. Most items show in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been trying to find a 760mm carbon riser bar with at least 35mm rise on ebay or aliX but no such luck. Most of the riser bars are meager 18mm copies of each other and anything with substantial rise looks like it belongs on a BMX or chopper with ape hangers. Where's the good carbon risers like an Ibis or OneUp?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've been trying to find a 760mm carbon riser bar with at least 35mm rise on ebay or aliX but no such luck. Most of the riser bars are meager 18mm copies of each other and anything with substantial rise looks like it belongs on a BMX or chopper with ape hangers. Where's the good carbon risers like an Ibis or OneUp?

the HB-002 is what I am running and based on my crude measurements it has a 35-ish mm rise. I have had these on probably 5 bikes now and they are great. I can only recommend these as a XC bar though as I have no experience with them on a AM or enduro bike. however I am 240lbs and ride them on a rigid SS so they do take some abuse. also in the cold MN winters and have had no issues. Plus they are light, like really light. 120-130g light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Carbo...var=521462207294&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
90 Posts
the HB-002 is what I am running and based on my crude measurements it has a 35-ish mm rise. I have had these on probably 5 bikes now and they are great. I can only recommend these as a XC bar though as I have no experience with them on a AM or enduro bike. however I am 240lbs and ride them on a rigid SS so they do take some abuse. also in the cold MN winters and have had no issues. Plus they are light, like really light. 120-130g light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Carbo...var=521462207294&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Those bars top out at 720 width, so no go for me. I too am going to run it on a 12sp rigid but i do like the wider bars for control and comfort (matches my tall body size better).

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry. Missed the width requirement. Have you looked at the new 35mm diameter bars that some of the direct companies have come out with. Can’t remember who but I think BXT or similar had some. They might come in wider options.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I decided to try my luck with an $18 "Toseek" branded riser bar. There were quite a few reviews on amazon of a similar looking bar with another random chinese brand with people saying it broke upon installation with a torque wrench, but no reviews for the Toseek one. So we'll see. I don't do any drops or jumps or anything but I'm still a little wary.

edit: the bar with reviews of cracking ones was actually a listing with a variety of different bars, so it's hard to say if this one is a risk based on those reviews

FWIW, I did end up cracking this bar when I replaced the stem and forgot to use a torque wrench when tightening it up.. DOH!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts