Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a set of lights (helmet and handlebar) for team 24hour races. I've considered the new Lupine Betty and a Pico but they're a stupid amount of $$. However, after lurking on this forum the last couple of days, I see info on lots of lights that are $100-$150 for over 1000 lumens. It sounds like most of these vary in quality but it makes me ask, are the Lupine or other high end lights really worth it and will they still be decent 4 or 5 years from now? If you look back 4 or 5 years, a top end light would basically be way under powered compared to the low end lights today. My old Nightrider that I spent $600 on is basically a POS now. Does the charger and quality of the expensive lights compensate just getting a couple of cheap lights and an back-up? At the same time, I want something that will work out of the box without modification and be reasonably reliable.

I'm willing to spend the money if something is really worth it but I don't want to just throw it away on a light that will be outdated in a couple of years. Your comments, recommendations and input are appreciated....especially if there is anyone out there with the new 2600 lumen Betty.

·
Got a suspension fork
2,458 Posts
Do you do much riding by lights outside of the 24 hour races? How often do you do these races?

For me, the frequency of use will sway my answer, low frequency, go buy a bunch of inexpensive lights and run it with. If you ride by lights often, then I find the added cost for higher end lights to be totally substantiated.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,875 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. Based purely on what I've read & watched the Jet-Lites A-51 is right in my wheelhouse. Its a lot for the money. Middle of the price range between a Pico and a Magicshine. To be fair I don't own one yet so I can't speak first hand. I'd suggest you look into it and see what you think.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hi rixsurfer, i don't have the 2600 lumen Betty, but do ride with the 1850/22degree Betty and the 1100 lumen Wilma. What i can tell you is though there is a significant lumen upgrade going to the 2600 lumen version, i'm so happy with the output and beam pattern of my set up, even me (the lumen junky) think i have reached as much output as i'll ever need.

I ride some very challenging trails here in Squamish/Whistler BC, and i can ride everything at night as though it was day. So yes i'm a little bias here but these products kick but,and unless you can ride single track at 40+ MPH, you will never need more light.

That been said, there are many other company's that are right there with Lupine quality. Here is just a few!!

- BajaDesigns- The new Double Stryker will blow you away and half the cost of the Betty.
- Dinotte's- New version 1200L+ and their new XML3 also very good quality, well priced.
- Amoeba - XML very good quality and value.

More important, is all the above have great customer service and will take very good care of you well after your purchase.

As randyharris mentioned, these would be recommendations for someone who loves their night riding and does it regularly, plus want's the best, most reliable products available. Cheers!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was in a similar situation and did not want to drop bike dollars but also did not want to deal with low quality stuff.

I went with the Jetlites A-51 for my handlebars and Amoeba for my helmet. This combo works really well for me and both lights cost me $450 total. The beam patters are very nice with no real hot spots and with both lights around the same lumens they work very well together. I have one full season on them and my ride tonight was the beginning the second season.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You won't find too many people that regret buying a Lupine light. They really are awesome lights and not something you are going to need or want to replace for a long time especially with the ability to upgrade them. I have basically the same setup as indept, with a betty and wilma combo and it really kicks butt. These lights never let me down and continue to amaze me with their output. I can't see where having more output than these is going to benefit me more so I am sticking with this combo. I'm not sure how many lumens we will see light manufacturers reach, but already the output is pretty brutal with some of the newest lights. I wouldn't recommend getting a really cheapo light like the magicshine, but there are tons of options right now like the ones mentioned here already. My advice is to keep reading up on the forums some more before deciding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.