Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
flow where ever you go
1,521 Posts
LOL! Ergon weigh more than my Salsa risers. But that is a good weight for what you get.

I don't know which lock ons are light. For one thing, the lock rings themselves have some heft already, then you are just looking for the lightest grip. Someone can probably tell you which grips are lightest. Perhaps ruffians??

You might consider giving up the lock aspect and get silicon grips that are super light (51gms), go on easy, stick to your bars like glue, and provide fantastic grip and absorption. See them here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id64.html

·
Registered
3,394 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just switched my ruffiians out for ESI Chunky. I like the lock ons and ruffians are light for lock ons but the ESI are lighter and WAY more comfortable.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noshortcuts said:
LOL! Ergon weigh more than my Salsa risers. But that is a good weight for what you get.

I don't know which lock ons are light. For one thing, the lock rings themselves have some heft already, then you are just looking for the lightest grip. Someone can probably tell you which grips are lightest. Perhaps ruffians??

You might consider giving up the lock aspect and get silicon grips that are super light (51gms), go on easy, stick to your bars like glue, and provide fantastic grip and absorption. See them here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id64.html
Figures.. I just placed and order with these guys the other day for bearings....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also switched over to the ESI chunky grips about 6 months ago, way more comfortable than the Yeti lockons I was riding, I can hardly tell they have been used while the Yeti lockons had no logo after 6 months. Most importantly, no sliping in any conditions, even after fully submerged river crossings.

·
No longer 26
3,080 Posts
Syntace srew on grips are sub 90 grams I think. I use them cut down from there with grip shift and are pretty comfy at least for me.
I got them at speedgoat.

G

·
Registered
585 Posts
RfQ said:
I've just begun on this quest for weight reduction... but have been wondering if you could use a lock-on grip on a carbon bar.... or is that an oxymoron too...?
There's no problem running lock-ons with a carbon bar. I use to do it before I switched to foam grips. No looking back--I love my Titec Pork Rinds--I find them to be incredibly comfortable, and weigh something like 30 grams.

At any rate, lock-ons work just fine with carbon bars. But, as with anythin, take care not to overtorque the bolts as that can create problems.

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
ERGON said:
It's about form and function. I'll agree with you that these grips are not the lightest on the market. But, then again, they are not supposed to be. Grip choice is like saddle choice...everyone has their own flavor. As consumers, you have a choice. Choice is an amazing thing.
So Ergon doesn't MAKE a light lock-on grip. In fact, they would be the opposite of what the consumer is looking for here.

Thanks.

·
Category Winner
6,117 Posts
I stopped using lock-ons when I found out about 3M 77 spray adhesive. I've run Titec and Ritchey foams with zero slipping in the worst conditions. I've never had any residue left on my bars when I go to change grips. I just give 'em a little slice and peel 'em like a banana.
Not to mention I don't like having a hard piece of metal at the outer edge of my grip. I sometimes run my hand out there, and the lock ring can be quite uncomfortable.

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
teamdicky said:
I stopped using lock-ons when I found out about 3M 77 spray adhesive. I've run Titec and Ritchey foams with zero slipping in the worst conditions. I've never had any residue left on my bars when I go to change grips. I just give 'em a little slice and peel 'em like a banana.
Not to mention I don't like having a hard piece of metal at the outer edge of my grip. I sometimes run my hand out there, and the lock ring can be quite uncomfortable.
I use Scott Grip Glue to achieve the same end.

ESI Chunky grips and glue. 72 grams.

Works great for me.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ha ha, it's probably not the best but you can also run lock on grips with one lockring on each. I assume that people with grip shift also do it that way.

I rouded the little grub screws in the lockrings for one grip & had to drill it off (needed to remove my brake lever) anyway while waiting for new grips in the mail I took the good lockring off the other grip.
So I've been riding odi ruffians with an outer lockring each. It works but I'm getting some Oury non lock on ones as I seem to be prone to rounding stuff!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Asahi said:
Just switched my ruffiians out for ESI Chunky. I like the lock ons and ruffians are light for lock ons but the ESI are lighter and WAY more comfortable.
Is there a difference in the thickness between the two?

The ESI's sound like what I am looking for, but I want to keep the same diameter as the Ruffians.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The Ruffian and the Racers Edge are the same diameter. That said the ESI compress MUCH MUCH more than the Ruffian and I have found the Chunky to have a very similar feel once compressed but the ESI is much more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.