Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to know some light Hydro system... Because the caliper of my front Hayes MX-1 recently died... I woull like to buy something lighter if possible...

I would like to know what are the lightest disk brake out there (160mm)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,152 Posts
Do a search. this is been talked about a lot recently.

Hope mono mini - $$
Formula Oro Puro - $$$
Magura makes some, and others will tell you to scour ebay and the classified for obscure older models no long produced that are a few grams lighter than what you can get now.

I orded the hopes, partly beause they are light, only two $'s (in my book) and have the bling two piece rotors... I'm still waiting to get my frame back, so I'm currently mtb-less, and will see how they work then. BTW, I went the 160/140 route.

BM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bmadau said:
Do a search. this is been talked about a lot recently.

Hope mono mini - $$
Formula Oro Puro - $$$
Magura makes some, and others will tell you to scour ebay and the classified for obscure older models no long produced that are a few grams lighter than what you can get now.

I orded the hopes, partly beause they are light, only two $'s (in my book) and have the bling two piece rotors... I'm still waiting to get my frame back, so I'm currently mtb-less, and will see how they work then. BTW, I went the 160/140 route.

BM
I searched a little bit and everything seems lighter (not by much) compared to my Mx-1, i guess any hydro will work well, The hope look nice !

Weight of hydro brake is hard to find some list the weight with the adapter or without, same thing for the pad and the hardware...

Anyways i will probably get what is cheaper, the brake my lbs sell are so overpriced... 260$ for a single Juicy5 8inch :skep:
 

·
I already rode that
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Yeah buying parts in Canada sucks for most things...
If you like Ebay you can pick up some XTR calipers with XT levers for sometimes a really good price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,152 Posts
Another factor in my choice for brakes this time around is that the Hope's come with everything under one part number- rotors, caliper, levers, adapters & hardware. The other mfg's like Formula and Shimano make you piece the system together. I think with the formula's you need to order the rotor you want, the adaptor for that rotor size, and then the caliper and lever. Shimano makes you order the lever seperate. for me, it's a pain, and opens up the possibility of ordering the wrong thing. If you just go to your lbs and have them piece it together, you may save some hassle at the cost of more $$.

The only thing I had to order seperate is the dt centerlock to 6 bolt rotor adapter, which looks REAL sweet, BTW...

BM
 

·
I already rode that
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Actually in Canada its harder to buy just the levers or calipers seperate as most shops only sell them as sets (lever + caliper) At least seemed that way when I went looking for levers couple months ago.
 

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
If you're concerned about weight, then try to get brakes that match your mounts... 51mm IS (always IS mount for the rear) or the post mount for the fork so you don't have to use an adapter. I made the "mistake" of buying brakes that are exact opposite, so I was required to use the adapters on the front and rear.

Here's the short list... note that some brakes can be purchased with either mounting option...
IS mount:
XTR
Old style XT 4 pots (not good for xc though)
Magura Martas
Hopes

Post mount:
Avid
Hayes
XTR (uncommon)
New XT/Saint
Hone/LX
Magura Marta (uncommon, but can be ordered)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
With this kind of thing do it right the first time - if you don't buy the best you'll be thinking about getting it all the time and it'll seem pointless to save those few grams, you'll curse yourself for not spending the extra money the first time.

My favourite is the Formula Oro Puro. Those german tests done by a university rated them as the most powerful with the best modulation of the lightweight category (Magura Marta's, Avid Juicy Carbon's, Hope Mono Mini).

Further to that they really are light - 351 grams for a front brake including everything. Marta's are claimed 324 without the adaptor which adds about 20 grams - the new Avid Juicy Ultimates are claimed 343 for a front brake without the adaptor.

Customer service is top notch - any problems are swiftly addressed - the US guys from Formula are actually on these boards and work very hard to keep any problems at bay very quickly. Recent example, a leak through the membrane in the lever gets the response of a new brakeset being sent out straight away. No stuffing around.

Ordering - I think they've got the right idea. You buy two items - the brake which is the lever, hose, caliper (post mount) fully bled and ready to go - and the rotor/adaptor package. This way the appropriate adaptor is always received for the rotor size you want to run.

Cheers, John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Rich A. said:
If you're concerned about weight, then try to get brakes that match your mounts... 51mm IS (always IS mount for the rear) or the post mount for the fork so you don't have to use an adapter. I made the "mistake" of buying brakes that are exact opposite, so I was required to use the adapters on the front and rear.

Here's the short list... note that some brakes can be purchased with either mounting option...
IS mount:
XTR
Old style XT 4 pots (not good for xc though)
Magura Martas
Hopes

Post mount:
Avid
Hayes
XTR (uncommon)
New XT/Saint
Hone/LX
Magura Marta (uncommon, but can be ordered)
Why do you say that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,310 Posts
aussie_yeti said:
Further to that they really are light - 351 grams for a front brake including everything. Marta's are claimed 324 without the adaptor which adds about 20 grams - the new Avid Juicy Ultimates are claimed 343 for a front brake without the adaptor.
I guess I'm the only one that really likes martas. FYI, my rear weighed in slightly under claimed weight - somthing like 320 (my front is a 180mm rotor, they don't publish weight for it but it came in at about 370). I'm not sure what you mean about the adaptor adding 20g; martas are a direct IS-mount, there is no adapter. Another nice thing about maggies is they come pre-bled, bleeding is not a regular part of maintence, and the fluid doesn't need to be changed (I ran a set of HS-22s for 12 years without ever opening them for any reason); nice if fiddleing with hydraulic fluid scares you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Marta SLs

Got a screaming deal at Performance a few months ago, they are on my Blur XC. Fantastic brake, let you go really fast & then bring it back into control, if necessary. :D
 

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
that list was copied

Batas said:
Why do you say that?
The list of brake mounts was copied, probably from XSL_Will... I should take out the part about the "not good for XC" because I have no idea why... sorry.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top