Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for lightweight hubs (6 bolt) that can handle some wet riding and dont cost a fortune. I would love a set of kings or hugis but cant fit them into the budget.

does such a product exist?

I have been told to avoid the ringles and lazerdisc lites in the wet due to durabilty issues.

the design of the XT hubs seems great but they are HEAVY.

Any advice?

·
Registered
620 Posts
try torontocycles on ebay or type in a2z hub. You didn't specify v or disc brakes. Anyhow the disc hubs area 126gms Front and 242 gms Rear. Only about 20 grams heavier than american classics .

do some searches on here as well to see others with this build.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, how does this design hold up in the wet?
I hear that the WTB's dont do well and the AC's are a bit better due to better bearings- Is this true?

·
Registered
620 Posts
tekkamaki said:
Thanks, how does this design hold up in the wet?
I hear that the WTB's dont do well and the AC's are a bit better due to better bearings- Is this true?
best would be to contact those members that have built wheelsets with these hubs as they can comment to their design and wet riding.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
A nice way to go "budget light" is to use a Formula Disc front hub. Used to be on Universalcycles site with details of hub but not there any longer. There are some on ebay cheap right now if you want to take a chance on them. Then spend the rest of your hub budget on the rear.

My example is I am using Bontrager Race Disc 29er fronts that use Formula hubs with DT240's on the back laced to Bontrager Mustang 29er rims. Mine have been going strong for years without any problems after mud rides and or races.

G

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hope

I've got to second (or third) the Hope suggestions. I've had the the XC (front) and Bulb (rear) for about 3.5 seasons now and have never looked back. When you consider quality and cost vs. Kings, they can't be beat. In fact, you could probably get a front and rear Pro II for the same price as a rear King alone.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
G-Live said:
A nice way to go "budget light" is to use a Formula Disc front hub. Used to be on Universalcycles site with details of hub but not there any longer. There are some on ebay cheap right now if you want to take a chance on them. Then spend the rest of your hub budget on the rear.

My example is I am using Bontrager Race Disc 29er fronts that use Formula hubs with DT240's on the back laced to Bontrager Mustang 29er rims. Mine have been going strong for years without any problems after mud rides and or races.

G
Tha's my disc brake set up; Formula front hub, DT/Swiss 240 SS rear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can get the DT Swiss for reasonable prices on ebay. E. g. I got my complete wheelset (Hugi, X317) for 130$ (once mounted, never used).
Besides that you should consider XTR. No longer heavier than Hugi. A new wheelset with an X717 or 4.2d rim should come in at about 350$ from a dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can get the DT Swiss for reasonable prices on ebay. E. g. I got my complete wheelset (Hugi, X317) for 130$ (once mounted, never used).
Besides that you should consider XTR. No longer heavier than Hugi. A new wheelset with an X717 or 4.2d rim should come in at about 350$ from a dealer. But it's not 6-bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.