Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1-1/4" receiver hitch so I could carry two fat-tired 29ers (or road bikes) with a Mazda Miata (yes, I know it's a girl's car). I'm looking for a light rack, will probably need to be a wheel tray type, due to sloping top tubes. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 1.25 receiver on the back of my honda civic pull 29ers and road bikes both. I just got rid of my hang style rack and ordered a tray style with the over the tire attachment. I of course looked at the thule t2 and the yakima hold up and stick up both made of steel and come with the backing of great companies that have been around a while. Both about $400 and weighing in at about 50 lbs. However with the Thule you have to spend an extra 50 to get the lock for the rack/receiver and another 20 for lock cores. The yakima has a cable lock included, but is a few dollars more expensive to start with. Then I looked at the Kuat racks that have similar features but are made of aluminum. The Kuat Sherpa is a 1.25 receiver friendly tray style (over the tire mount) rack with a rack/receiver lock and bike security cable included. Also they have a tensioning system that prevents the rack from rattling. And it comes in at $399 and only weighs 22 lbs. I went with the Kuat but it has not come in yet so I can not speak to the overall quality or fit and finish compared to my old Thule rack. Hope this helps.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
check out the saris racks. They have a rear rack that is super light weight. Think it is called the Thelma.
G

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Performance X-Port Flatbed is decent

fallzboater said:
I bought a 1-1/4" receiver hitch so I could carry two fat-tired 29ers (or road bikes) with a Mazda Miata (yes, I know it's a girl's car). I'm looking for a light rack, will probably need to be a wheel tray type, due to sloping top tubes. Any recommendations?
I'm happy with it. Performance Bike backs their stuff up. I exchanged mine once with no receipt when the hold down hooks started creeping up. Turns out there was some wear of the plastic grips under the hooks, and the plastic dust was keeping the hooks from gripping well. It's easy to fix, but Performance just wanted to swap me out.

Anyway, I got mine for $120 out the door when on sale and with a 20% off coupon. I think the price has gone up since then, but every now and again it goes on sale for $150.

Also, keep in mind that the 29er bike is longer than your car is wide by a bit. The wheels are going to stick out past your car. You'll see them in your mirrors... especially if you drive a Miata.

On my old car....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
pimpbot said:
I'm happy with it. Performance Bike backs their stuff up. I exchanged mine once with no receipt when the hold down hooks started creeping up. Turns out there was some wear of the plastic grips under the hooks, and the plastic dust was keeping the hooks from gripping well. It's easy to fix, but Performance just wanted to swap me out.

Anyway, I got mine for $120 out the door when on sale and with a 20% off coupon. I think the price has gone up since then, but every now and again it goes on sale for $150.

Also, keep in mind that the 29er bike is longer than your car is wide by a bit. The wheels are going to stick out past your car. You'll see them in your mirrors... especially if you drive a Miata.

On my old car....

2ND this rack by Xsport. It's cheap and sturdy. I can also get my tandem bike on it as well.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G-Live said:
check out the saris racks. They have a rear rack that is super light weight. Think it is called the Thelma.
G
I read one review that said it didn't fit 29er tires well. Have you tried it?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drevil said:
I got my 1upusa rack last summer. It's all aluminum also, and I've been happy with it:
Nice and light, but $300 for one bike, and $200 for each additional bike tray! I normally would just carry one, so that might work, though.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,368 Posts
2nd vote for Kuat, and I have mine;)

Fit and finish are great, being aluminum, it's easily 20 lbs lighter than my T2, and not only does it fit any 29er tire in existence, it'll fit a Pugsley to boot!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=589744

It's also mostly stainless hardware, which means no crappy, oranged out, non moving bolts in a year:cool:

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
fallzboater said:
Nice and light, but $300 for one bike, and $200 for each additional bike tray! I normally would just carry one, so that might work, though.
1 bike setup :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
G-Live said:
check out the saris racks. They have a rear rack that is super light weight. Think it is called the Thelma.G
I won a Thelma last year at a festival. Two bike version. Not overly light and troublesome to get 29ers to fit consistently without jerry-rigging the set-up.

For the weight differential I'd go with something more robust when hanging $X,XXX off the back of my car. With a light, RWD Miata expect to have really funky handling effects regardless of the weight of the rack.

I'm a fan of the Thule T2 - not light - but secure as [email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was in the same boat and need something light (Scion Xb) that could carry three bikes so I ended up with the Saris Thelma. The biggest hassle is tire width. For my 9er with 2.4 tires someone has to push the wheel while I crank the strap down. The main problem is the straps are not long enough so when I riding solo I connect two together and it's all good. Because of the light weight and all the plastic I was worried about durability in the winter but so far no problems.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Soupboy said:
With a light, RWD Miata expect to have really funky handling effects regardless of the weight of the rack.
That will just make it easier to slide the rear end around in corners, which will please the OP immensely. ;)

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
kosmo said:
That will just make it easier to slide the rear end around in corners, which will please the OP immensely. ;)
Actually, I'd expect it to induce understeer/plow and maybe funnycar wheelies!

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
raxter rack.

seriously. my 1 bike rack must only weigh about 25 or 30 pounds and each bike attachment is less than that. heck, my wife (who doesn't ride and only weighs 105 pounds) never complains if she has to remove it. it is that light.

they are also cheap and flat out work great. and, they have excellent reviews.

oh....and dicky uses one!!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts