Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a lighter (non carbon) full suspension fram than the Kona Hei Hei at 4.8 lbs?

For discussion pruposes lets define 'full suspension as a min of 2.5" or 64mm of rear travel with an actual shock.

The Turner Nitrous was supposed to be sub 5lbs but I never weighed one myself. I'm not sure if they even make it anymore.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
What frame size? What shock?

Even with carbon rear triangle - getting under 5lb in size Medium - do not remember many. Yeti AS-R alloy was just around 5lb in medium.

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
No carbon, how about Ti? Litespeeed Sewanee SS 60 mm travel or LS 85 mm of rear travel, same weight than Hei Hei with more travel.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Xprezo sub 5 is a sweet light non-carbon bike.

One of my roomates rides for them and despite putting a ton of MTB miles on he has had no problems with them.

http://www.xprezo.ca/

·
Registered
6 Posts
seppk said:
not sure on weight but titus racer X?
My son's buddy had a 2005 racer X. He sold it to a friend of mine. We weighed it on the same scale. 5lbs 13.5 oz. 5.8 lbs. I was disappointed. But to be fair the Racer X has a lot more travel at 4 inches.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curmy said:
What frame size? What shock?

Even with carbon rear triangle - getting under 5lb in size Medium - do not remember many. Yeti AS-R alloy was just around 5lb in medium.
Sorry... you are right thats important info

The size on the Hei Hei I have here is 17in. It has a RP23 shock.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
2007 Hei Hei Supreme. Out of box. No seatpost clamp. No waterbottle bolts. Bare frame. with derailleur hanger, with canti boss plastic threaded plugs.

The same as above but with Titanium bolts at all suspension locations.

2088g = 4.6 lbs

this includes the RP23 shock.

AxisII had a 18" 2007 Hei Hei Supreme frame that was 50 grams lighter than my 17". Pissed me off too!

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=427351

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,924 Posts
And to think my 1997 Amp B-3 20" frame was 4.8 pounds before I replaced the steel shock spring with a titanium one. Also pedals better than even a modern hei-hei, brakes better, and has a half inch more travel.

·
10,924 Posts
Typical price for a Funk, they have been making Ti frames easily as long as Eriksen has been doing them. I'd much rather have a Funk myself. If I had the money for one I'd get him to make me a 650B.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
DeeEight said:
Typical price for a Funk, they have been making Ti frames easily as long as Eriksen has been doing them. I'd much rather have a Funk myself. If I had the money for one I'd get him to make me a 650B.
If getting a ti full suspension, I would rather have had a proven rear from Yeti or Ventana that Kent bolts on. Of course I know nothing about Funk and just looked at a picture.

·
↓big watter↓
97 Posts
DeeEight said:
And to think my 1997 Amp B-3 20" frame was 4.8 pounds before I replaced the steel shock spring with a titanium one. Also pedals better than even a modern hei-hei, brakes better, and has a half inch more travel.
and killed often the shock cause nearly 100% sideway stress goes on the shock which cannot absorb this. i had an litespeed with amp rear and this was classy crap. nice to look at, but not for serious riding.

what about the old schmolke scandium fs, do they still exist ? thought they are also in that range.

·
10,924 Posts
I've never killed my shock. I have killed one seat strut by over tightening the clamp bolt though. Depends WHICH shock you had though, the ones with the alloy center shaft was prone to bending from side loads. The one with the chromed steel center shaft however is no different than any other mac strut bike's shock for durability.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts