Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

i have been lightening my 04 GT I-drive as was thinking about the fork, i currently have an old Marzocchi MX comp with Pro ETA and was wondering what i could replace it with that is light but not too expensive, 100mm travel is all i need.
Cheers in advance

Kiwi

·
Registered
92 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of not too expensive.

The lightest around (not considering the Lefties) is probably the DT Swiss Ltd/World Cup or whatever they call it at the moment (they seem to change the name every few months!), but it has narrow stanchions and there is a trade off in performance for the low weight.

Better performing, but also heavier are the RockShox Sid World Cup/XX and the Fox F100 RLC Fit.

You might also consider the Magura Durin SL.

The DT can be under 1200gm (depending on configuration). The Sid and F100 will be a few grams either side of 1400gm (again, depending on model, lockout, steerer length etc).

The Magura is around 1370gm. I don't know about the Magura's performance.

Price varies depending on where you live. The Fox is probably the cheapest. I live in Australia and managed to get an F100 RLC Fit for less than $800AUS (inc. delivery) from US Ebay. The Sid, DT and Magura are more expensive (in Australia at least).

I think that the Fox is the best performing, followed by the Sid. I have never used the Magura, but I imagine it is better than the DT which I found very flexy (and I am a light rider).

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
mmmaaaiiikkk said:
I think that the Fox is the best performing, followed by the Sid. I have never used the Magura, but I imagine it is better than the DT which I found very flexy (and I am a light rider).
I used to think this also (comparing a 2010 Fox FIT RLC to a 2010 SID WC), but after riding a preproduction 2011 SID for a few months, the SID gets my nod. It is laterally more stiff than the 2010 model, and lighter at the same time. It also seems to do a better job over the high speed choppy stuff than the Fox. The Fox is still a great fork, though.

Oh, and I have no experience with the Magura, either.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The Magura Durin DLO is the most supple 100mm fork I've ever owned, the Durin SL is a bit lighter and valved more like the SID Team/Fox. People I've talked to that have tried the 2011 stuff really like the new Fox and SID.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Seems like there won't be any bad forks in 2011 from Magura, Fox and Rockshox.

After reading bholwell post, it looks like the 2011 Rockshox forks will be the a great buy.
Do you have some verified weights ?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Dex11 said:
After reading bholwell post, it looks like the 2011 Rockshox forks will be the a great buy.
Do you have some verified weights ?
My preproduction fork weighed 1476g- 120mm RLT 9mm QR, uncut steerer tube.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reviving this thread... I'm also looking for a 100mm fork. Here's the options I can see:

Manitou R7 MRD '11 (1440g) at ~$500 and $400 for a 2010
Fox F100 FIT RLC (1430g) at $615 for the 2010 and $705 for the 2011
RS SID WC (1395g) at $1,000

These are all prices off eBay.

Why shouldn't I buy the R7 MRD? Thanks!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Cheers! said:
if you want to service your manitou every month because all the air leaked into the oil causing your 100mm travel fork to only travel 30mm and you like that, manitou is the way to go.
Didn't Manitou re-do the fork around 2008-9?
My brother has the 2010 and has had no issues with it, and I plan on getting a 2011 eventually (now that I finally got some post mount brakes!).

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just for the sake of mentioning an exotic, stiff, expensive, but ultralight fork...
http://www.wrcompositi.it/catalogo.php?prodotto=44#

I am considering it for my winter hardtail project.

Mounting a 1500g fork to a 2000g FS frame is acceptable, but we need a new generation of lightweight forks to complement the many sub-kilo frames that will be commonly available in the next few months

In that respect, only FRM and DT swiss have acceptable weights, but I hear that they have limitations in stiffness, geometry or damping.

MAybe the WR Compositi fork is a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Ausable said:
MAybe the WR Compositi fork is a step in the right direction.
Not with 30mm stanchions, a nothing arch, and QR axle.

BlownCivic said:
I kept my mouth shut till now. Do give the Lefty some consideration. It's plenty light (lighter than nearly everything else) and performs better than any of the other options.
Lefties have their own considerations, e.g. the regular bearing resets they need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.