Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was checking out HT's this weekend, almost pulled the trigger but scoffed at $160. Researching them online I now realize they have a 187 lb rider weight limit. Yikes!

Are there any low(er) profile pedals out there that don't weigh 400g, but are also rated for 200 lb riders?

While I'm at it: shoes for flats. I've been riding SPDs since the early to mid 90s, and I have always worn lighter stiff-soled shoes. I see five tens, but they just seem like piggy skater shoes. Does anyone have any recommendations for not-so-bulky AM/DH shoes? Additional consideration for riding in a hot climate: SoCal. Ideally the shoes would be quite breathable as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
i haven't seen a rider weight limit on these, they are pretty cheap and light:

Deity Compound Pedals > Components > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I have ridden 5/10s on flats for a few years now and haven't had any issues with them being hot or bulky, but that's probably personal preference, too. I am sure others will chime in with many other flat shoe options, but 5/10 impacts have worked fine for me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Beat me too it, cjsb.

I weigh 215 and I woul also recommend Diety Compounds. The price is right, they are thin, and everything is totally rebuildable. Only negative I see is when you really mash a pin, you'll probably have to drill it out. The pins need to be backed out and if you really bugger up the pin, you might not be able to back it out of the nut. Bust out the drill and you're good to go. Or buy a whole new pedal (with pins) for like $18.

Shoes, I can't totally comment. I rode on Nike Dunks, and now Teva Pinners. Tevas and Diety stick pretty well. Just gotta keep the heels down over the rocky stuff. 5.10s might grip better and there's different models. God luck!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Any comments on Race Face stuff? Looks like they have two pedals that appear damn near identical.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Was checking out HT's this weekend, almost pulled the trigger but scoffed at $160. Researching them online I now realize they have a 187 lb rider weight limit. Yikes!

Are there any low(er) profile pedals out there that don't weigh 400g, but are also rated for 200 lb riders?

While I'm at it: shoes for flats. I've been riding SPDs since the early to mid 90s, and I have always worn lighter stiff-soled shoes. I see five tens, but they just seem like piggy skater shoes. Does anyone have any recommendations for not-so-bulky AM/DH shoes? Additional consideration for riding in a hot climate: SoCal. Ideally the shoes would be quite breathable as well.

Thanks!
Race Face Atlas - lowest price is at bikebling.com

and

etnies Rap CL Ben Lewis, Grey/Red/White / Shop / etnies - Action Sports Footwear and Apparel

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm 230lbs. Just picked up a set of Mag Canfields and a set of Teva Pinner shoes ($45!) Teva Pinner Black Color Shoes 2012 > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Mountain Bike Shoes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The the mag Canfields are just stooopid light! 260g's per pair! I've researched them extensively and found no breakage problems. Only stellar reviews to be found.

The shoes are true to length, but because of the padded tongue when new, feel tight. After a ride or two they work in nicely and fit very well.

I have a pair of high-top 5/10's and found that they are just too dang grippy. Small foot adjustments were not easy enough for me while just pedaling along. I'll wear them for lift-service stuff, but for everyday, the Pinners work great.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the reply's - ended up with the 5 10 impact 2s or whatever they're called and the race face atlas pedals. Had my first ride on flats in 20+ years this morning. In fact I don't think I've ever ridden w/out either toe clips, power straps or SPDs.

No real problems, just realize I'll probably want shin protection with the nearly 1cm spikes!

The only thing that came up is that the 'rear' of my shoes contact would come off the pedals in some hairy sections (drops, fast chunder), I figure I just need to drop my heels more to compensate.

Quite a different feel though, definitely miss engaging my hip flexors on climbs! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Another vote for Canfield Crampons. They're worth every penny, I haven't had a pedal strike since putting them on the bike. I'm over 200 as well and have not had a single issue. I love my Teva Links Mids, unfortunately they're not being made anymore but you may be able to track down a pair that someone still has in stock. If you can find them in your size Id reccomend buying as many pairs as possible.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm 230 and run the xpedo sprys. Crazy light and I've beat the crap out of them. I've never heard them complain at all. I use in combination with five ten free riders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 210 and riding with Canfield Crampons and 5-10 Impact lows. No issues.

The pins on the Canfields are crazy sharp. I've been wearing high socks as protection lately and it's been great as a first layer of defense against the leg brushes which were drawing blood before..

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
With practice shin and calf scrapes will become a non event. My legs are highly scarred from my learning experience. I can't remember the last time my pedal "bit" me. Skill in riding as well as falling/stopping make the difference.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
you could always brag about escaping a bear attack.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
A popular option are the Spank Spikes. They are roughly 400 grams per pair and can take a serious beating. There is a real good review on Pinkbike if you are interested.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Love my Canfield Crampon Ultimates. Not only are they very light and beyond grippy, one of the best features are no pedal strikes. Biker Bob can hook you up for lower prices than you can find anywhere on the net. Any 5 10 shoes will be great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have the Shimano Saint pedals (havent removed the washers to make the pins longer) and smacked the back of my calf for the first time :eekster: i got lucky tho, just barely broke the skin

maybe you should get a pair of these, until you get used to them

Pro Tec Shin Guards > Apparel > Protective Gear > Leg Armor | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

No don't do that. The scars are part of the fun of riding flats. I can't comment on pedal choice but as far as shoes are concerned five tens are all that I use. Went from a pair of impacts that griped like nothing else i have ever used to a pair of free riders that while not being as grippy as the impacts were much lighter. I now switch between cyclones and freerider elements and have never felt that the grip was lacking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts