Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Race Face Diabolus cranks now, which are great, but I'm trying to come up with creative ways to lower the weight of my downhill bike. I was thinking maybe Race Face Atlas cranks, but I don't know if they would hold up. I'm kinda thinking that they would, and plus I'm only about 165 lbs, so I wouldn't need super heavy duty stuff. I think. Any thoughts?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Diabolus cranks are heavy. Saints, XTs, etc are all lighter. The Atlas cranks are a great AM crank, but I've seen them on plenty of DH rigs. They seem to hold up just fine.

Middleburn cranks are awesome.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Gravity Light

Sam Hill and MadCatz race on the Gravity Light, which is basically an ISIS XC crank with steel pedal inserts. It's really light and reasonably strong. I have them on a few bikes and they are good for AM and light FR. It works great for racing, but remember that it's not going to take huge drops and rock impacts for long.

Attachments

·
Shaman
636 Posts
I third the Hones. I broke my Race Face Diabolous spider and replaced them with Hones in the middle of last season. I didn't weigh them but just holding them in my hand I could tell they were much lighter than the RF. They feel stiff and have held up well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
JMH said:
Sam Hill and MadCatz race on the Gravity Light, which is basically an ISIS XC crank with steel pedal inserts. It's really light and reasonably strong. I have them on a few bikes and they are good for AM and light FR. It works great for racing, but remember that it's not going to take huge drops and rock impacts for long.
Any idea how these arms compare in weight to the old v-drives?

·
Registered
14 Posts
JMH said:
I wish I could find the picture but I have seen one of sam hill's cranks (those I assume) completly bent, so if your riding your cranks haggard and for a complete season or two I would skip them. Mind you this comes from no personal experience on them at all.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Yeah, I believe that for sure. But since he races on them all the time, he apparently trusts them. They aren't intended to be indestructable. But they are really light and will survive more hits than your basic XC crank at the same weight. Bleu broke a pair of mine up at DV this summer with a vicious pedal strike/landing misadventure. But to be fair, he broke another totally different crank doing the same thing. :p

I dunno, just my 2 cents for an extremely light DH racing-only crank.

JMH

hick_huckster01 said:
I wish I could find the picture but I have seen one of sam hill's cranks (those I assume) completly bent, so if your riding your cranks haggard and for a complete season or two I would skip them. Mind you this comes from no personal experience on them at all.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Saints are only 50 grams less than the Diabolus's. The Atlas's are about 200 grams less than the Diabolus, about a half a pound. Coupled with all the other ridiculous amounts of money I'm planning on spending for lighter parts, that'll make a bit of a difference.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
twouareks said:
The Saints are only 50 grams less than the Diabolus's. The Atlas's are about 200 grams less than the Diabolus, about a half a pound. Coupled with all the other ridiculous amounts of money I'm planning on spending for lighter parts, that'll make a bit of a difference.
Umm -- Saints are ~1100g, Diabolous are ~1300 - Atlast better be another 200g lighter or whats the point......

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Huck Banzai said:
Umm -- Saints are ~1100g, Diabolous are ~1300 - Atlast better be another 200g lighter or whats the point......
I was going off the Race Face website, which says the Diabolus cranks are 1150g, and the Atlas cranks are 955g. And I was also going off the Shimano website, which says the Saint cranks are 1100g.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.