Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new bike. I want a light efficient bike for XC and endurance racing. I am more of a climber than a downhill guy. Should I stick with bikes that have about 100mm front fork travel and around 3-4" rear travel? It seems like anything over that starts getting into the heavier all mountain type bikes. I'm not an expert when it comes to mountain bikes so not sure what exactly to look for. Currently I'm thinking the Anthem X2 would fit what I am looking for. I also just found a used Felt Virtue 1 for sale but don't know much about the Felt. It has 130mm front fork and 5" rear suspension. My guess is it would not meet my requirements as well as the Anthem. I can't spend more than about 2k, which makes it tough. What other bikes would be similar to the Anthem X2? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For a lightweight, climbing fs bike, id go 4 inch travel. 3 inch would be too little for almost anybodey imo. 4 is very sufficiant for lighweight xc bikes, which is why most of them have 4 inches of frame travel.

There are a few other bikes out there, just keep searching.. The Specialized FSR rings a bell too me, the better ones can be had for about 2000.

Also i would highly reccomend a scott spark, very nice bike.

Then there is the sette ace which can only be had online, but is 29 pounds, 4 inch rear travel, and only 999 dollars, which leaves a ton of room for upgrades, not that it needs any real upgrades.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
For actual racing FS bikes look at Rocky Mtn Element, Titus Racer X, Scott. The Flet is more of a trail bike. There are others out there. You'll be hard pressed to find any of the above mentioned bikes in full-build for much under $2k. If you have parts, look into buying a frame. The KHS XC Team is another choice on the lower end of price. Frame only is about $600.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
love my Ax2. Light, stiff, and quick. climbs great, corners great, and is still plush enough on the rough stuff. It's a great design. I got my '09 Ax2 about a month ago for $2000 on clearance.

It climbs better, corners better, it's stiffer, and doesn't give up much on the downhills - compared to my '06 120mm Stumpy. not to mention, it weighs about 4 lbs less.

I would also add an Epic 29er to your list. Very fast bike. My buddy really raves about his, but I've never ridden one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
wildkyle90 said:
...Then there is the sette ace which can only be had online, but is 29 pounds, 4 inch rear travel, and only 999 dollars, which leaves a ton of room for upgrades, not that it needs any real upgrades.
Never looked at that bike before, nicely spec'd for that price. I told a buddy about Ibex for about the same price point and with them going belly up I wish I would've turned him on to the Sette Ace :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I've found an 2009 Anthem X3 for a great price. Would this bike be decent enough to race on or should I hold out for an X2? The price difference is like $800. I'll look into the above suggestions before I buy.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
wasatchbiker said:
IWhat other bikes would be similar to the Anthem X2?
In terms of travel, purpose and warranty support (as in lifetime), it's pretty much that, a Trek Fuel or a Specialized Epic.

The Felt is a nice bike but doesn't fit your intended use very well. Honestly you will struggle to better the Anthem X on a price/weight/spec/customer care basis.

Although look at Commencal, Orange, Turner, Yeti and Scott's assorted 4-ish inch travel bikes, more pricey but great bits of kit.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
wasatchbiker said:
Thanks for the input everyone. I've found an 2009 Anthem X3 for a great price. Would this bike be decent enough to race on or should I hold out for an X2? The price difference is like $800. I'll look into the above suggestions before I buy.
Sure you can race the X3.

The only thing I will say is - if you really want the X2 build (xt kit, better wheels), it would probably cost you a good bit more than $800 to retrofit the X3. but, you can spread that out over time, or try and sell stuff on ebay, and replace things with exactly what you want, so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.