Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, we just picked up a barely used 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Expert for my wife. She is a good climber but a pretty cautious descender after a wicked crash three years ago.

We are looking for recommendations on a good LIGHT replacement wheelset to replace the rather heavy ones that came stock on this bike. It has Shimano Deore disc brakes with XT rotors, if that matters.

We are certainly interested in durability and not having to true the wheels all the time, but given that she weighs 125 and is not an aggro rider, it seems we can go with a pretty light set up.

I've been using Universal Cycles "wheelbuilder" to explore different set-ups. The Hope XC hubs coupled with Mavic X717s looks like it would make a pretty nice setup, but we are open to suggestions. Kings are obviously nice too but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $700 on a set of wheels.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. Those look like nice wheels at a nice price. The AC/WTB hubs seem to have mixed reviews here, but I can't tell if all the reviews are for the same product.

I've seen Mike Garcia referred to in other threads, always in very positive terms. Looks like I should give him a call.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
XC717Disc/Hope wheelset is a good choice. I have a XC717Disc/XT wheelset, though I wanted the Hopes. I bought them from Jenson because they were out of the Hopes and I NEEDED them qucikly.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
well, i'm a good 60-70 Ibs heavier and I'm using a Sun DS-2 XC rims, DT Revo 14/17/14 spokes, alloy nipples, formula rear hub and a white industries/rockshox front hub (running rockshox discs front and back). Now some may think the spokes are a bit thin for disc wheels, but I twist laced the back wheel and it took TWO successive major impacts to break one spoke (and both impacts occurred on that same spoke). The first was a 2" diameter branch that got caught in the wheel and destroyed my derailleur, bent the hanger, and tweaked the spoke (which is better than a friend who destroyed 14 straight gauge spokes with a similar sized branch in his back wheel). The second was a crash onto a rock which finally broke the same spoke (and also became the first spoke to ever break in one of my wheels, twisted or not). Fortunetly it broke after the twisted section, and the spokes stayed twisted together above it, so it only took 5 mins with the spoke wrench to up the tension on the opposite side spokes around the missing one, and I had a perfect straight wheel again and did two hard hours of jumping and rock slamming without any problems.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
JensonUSA does them...

riverrat said:
Where can I get a set of King/X717 Mavic disc wheels built right for $500? Please do tell.
... for a bit over $500, IIRC in their catalog under the custom section.

I'm looking myself. I'm finding that my flat-spotted Bontrager Mustang rear hoop is being a bear to find a replacement for, like. It's still ridable, but I think my wheelset is nearing the end of it's life. I popped a spoke the other day, and I never pop spokes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pimpbot said:
... for a bit over $500, IIRC in their catalog under the custom section.

I'm looking myself. I'm finding that my flat-spotted Bontrager Mustang rear hoop is being a bear to find a replacement for, like. It's still ridable, but I think my wheelset is nearing the end of it's life. I popped a spoke the other day, and I never pop spokes.
OK sorry to be so retarded but please provide a link. I see no custom section at Jenson's website.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
riverrat said:
OK sorry to be so retarded but please provide a link. I see no custom section at Jenson's website.
The Kings are a bit more to start with but well worth it in the long run. The are tops in terms of weight, durability, engagement, quality, cool colors, etc. Check with Mike at OddsandEndos.com and Larry at MtnHighCyclery.com.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check into the SPINERGY XYCLONE's

I weight 185 and ride very hard XC. I have about 700 off-road miles on a set of the latest generation of the Xyclone disc wheels.

These wheels are silly light at 1610g/pr and incredibly durable. I never touch them for truing or tuning at all. The hubs are great, bearings are smooth, and fairly stiff. I have had small sticks get caught in the spokes a couple times with no damage except for a broken sticks.

link to their web page:
http://www.spinergy.com/xyclonedisc.htm

AntiLoc

·
Registered
790 Posts
Go Light

Your wife is light and she doesn't need a strong wheel. The lighter a rider the more they will notice a really lightweight wheelset. I would reccomend custom wheels where you can talk to the builder and get something special for her. 28 spokes for instance would be fine for her. Try calling Dave Thomas: find his number at speeddream.com. Dave will build the lightest wheels at a fair price. People on these boards seem to have also had good experience with Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.
She will love wheels built for her instead of the tank wheels normally used by people 160 lbs. and up!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jkittlesen said:
Will XM 819s and Kings for $520 work?
Sounds like great wheels for a good price, but I think the XM 819s are overkill for my wife. I agree with barrows that I'd like to focus on light weight for her. The stock disc wheels she has are fine except that they are too heavy for her needs- lighter ones is the main reason for an upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.