Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mono mini vs. Marta sl!!!

I have been trying to read some of the previous posting but am still left undecided! Yikes!

Here is what I have thus far:

Marta sl: Lighter (+); Costlyer (-); Easier to install (+); Quieter (+); Mineral Oil (+); Unable to use sintered pads (-); requires more bleeding (-); more prone to problems (-); less modulation (-).

Mono mini: The opposite of above!!!

Do I have the above items right? (I know the fluid use is up for discussion but I gave mineral oil a + because of environmental factors!). Anything I am forgetting?

How much weight do the new two piece rotors really save on the Mono mini's per brake? Speedgoat has the weight listed at 325 per brake! That doesn't seem quite right

Can other rotors easily be used on either of these brakes? (I like to use my beater wheels often and have them set up currently for avid bb7's.

My goal for the new brakes are to replace my avid mechs to 1) have a one finger use brake (for the sake of my hand muscles on endurance type races) and 2) to save some serious weight. I race xc on a tracer, have some minor mechanical ability, very little time, and weight 145 w/ gear. The above list puts more (+)'s in the mini colum, but the bottom line for me is to have a brake that once set up will give worry free use for a long time, and that most importantly does not RUB - ever!. Any thoughts, opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Maguras don't need fequent bleeding

Ican go 2 or 3 times as long between bleeds with my Martas as I can with dot fluid systems. The bleeding is a little tricky but once it's done your good to go for 2 or more seasons.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forums vs Reviews

Johnny Hair Boy said:
Ican go 2 or 3 times as long between bleeds with my Martas as I can with dot fluid systems. The bleeding is a little tricky but once it's done your good to go for 2 or more seasons.
Thnx that is good to know. Also that goes along with the reviews of the marta. What I don't understand is that according to the forum here, the Mini's seem to get a better reliability report, but on the reviews, the Marta SL get a better review!? Go figure!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I would highly recommend the Marta SL.

I do not find any issues with reliability, power, modulation. The fact that they cant use sintered pads - I cant come up with a reason I would WANT to.....

FWIW the marta sl just won a shootout in this months MBA (I know, take their stuff with a grain of salt) beating out hayes, shimano, and avid along the way.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Undecided still, but...

ryan123 said:
I agree.. that is why I am in the same dilema as yourself!! Have you made up your mind between the mono mini and sl's yet??
...to make things easier, recently also started reading the Louise were worth checking into: supposedly not that much more weight and one hell of a brake...

Just bought a new fork though so I promised the wife I would wait till after xmas for brake upgrades which gives me a little time to try to figure it out a few more questions. First, I would like to get more info on the new rotors from Hope. Secondly, I would like to figure out the exact difference between a Marta and a Marta SL, as here again, the information does not seem to be quite consistent...

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
bellullabob said:
...to make things easier, recently also started reading the Louise were worth checking into: supposedly not that much more weight and one hell of a brake...

Just bought a new fork though so I promised the wife I would wait till after xmas for brake upgrades which gives me a little time to try to figure it out a few more questions. First, I would like to get more info on the new rotors from Hope. Secondly, I would like to figure out the exact difference between a Marta and a Marta SL, as here again, the information does not seem to be quite consistent...
diff between marta and marta sl is just the carbon levers to provide weight savings.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I would change the following

installation: a push both are is systems and require shims, Hayyes and Jucys are easy to install.
Weight: again a push both brakes weigh about 350gm (Magura incorrectly gives the weight of the marta SL as 325g)
Fluid + DOT for having longer service life and being safer (will absorb water oil won't) + oil for your environmental issue (if you must)

Other than that I think you are pretty much on target. Both are nice brakes, either will suit your needs buy the one you like better.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You have it mostly right except for a few.

Easier to install. You need a facing tool to get it perfect. I have never really enjoyed installing any of my Maguras. Cutting the lines is very easy and straight forward though. (Avids being the easiest)

I think both sets of my Maguras (Martas and Loiuse FR's) modulate much better than the Juicy 7's and XT's that I have ridden. No comparison there.

Problems - Never. I have heard more people have issues with the Monos.

Bleeding - Rarely. When I have needed to, it is very easy.

(-); requires more bleeding (-); more prone to problems (-); less modulation (-).

·
Registered
734 Posts
bellullabob said:
Thnx that is good to know. Also that goes along with the reviews of the marta. What I don't understand is that according to the forum here, the Mini's seem to get a better reliability report, but on the reviews, the Marta SL get a better review!? Go figure!
Well except that it wasn't exactly correct, Hope brakes have a recommended (fluid) service interval of 4 years and most never need bleeding at all. So the part about 2 to 3 time as long is just not true. (2 to 3 times more frequent service on the marta is probably more accurate)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Marta

bellullabob said:
Mono mini vs. Marta sl!!!

I have been trying to read some of the previous posting but am still left undecided! Yikes!

Here is what I have thus far:

Marta sl: Lighter (+); Costlyer (-); Easier to install (+); Quieter (+); Mineral Oil (+); Unable to use sintered pads (-); requires more bleeding (-); more prone to problems (-); less modulation (-).

Mono mini: The opposite of above!!!

Do I have the above items right? (I know the fluid use is up for discussion but I gave mineral oil a + because of environmental factors!). Anything I am forgetting?

How much weight do the new two piece rotors really save on the Mono mini's per brake? Speedgoat has the weight listed at 325 per brake! That doesn't seem quite right

Can other rotors easily be used on either of these brakes? (I like to use my beater wheels often and have them set up currently for avid bb7's.

I had no problems whatsever bleeding my Martas, can't comment on the problems (had for 2 months with no problem), and modulation is excellent (I have 180mm front).

... I don't see any reason to use different rotors for the Marts, they are some of the best and lightest ...

In a word: I love my Marta (and I am VERY difficult to please).

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
'bout the rotots?

006_007 said:
diff between marta and marta sl is just the carbon levers to provide weight savings.
Read somewhere the rotors were different (forgot where!), and weight weenies has the weights for the 03 rotors between the marta and the sl as different too...126 vs 109 grams. Are those weight differences in the rotors no longer applicable?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=discbrakes

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
bellullabob said:
Read somewhere the rotors were different (forgot where!), and weight weenies has the weights for the 03 rotors between the marta and the sl as different too...126 vs 109 grams. Are those weight differences in the rotors no longer applicable?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=discbrakes
OK, not that I am a weight weenie or anything but I just happened to weigh my marta SL's before mounting them....

Marta SL rear (with uncut hoses) - 258g
Marta SL front (with uncut hoses) - 244g
Marta 160mm rotor w 6 mounting bolts - 122g
Marta 180mm rotor w 6 mounting bolts - 144g

Not sure where they got the 109 grams from. Maybe that is the weight of a 160mm rotor w no mounting hardware to make the weight weenie feel better? Not very weight weenieish to add that weight onto their wheelset though.......

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
006_007 said:
OK, not that I am a weight weenie or anything but I just happened to weigh my marta SL's before mounting them....

Marta SL rear (with uncut hoses) - 258g
Marta SL front (with uncut hoses) - 244g
Marta 160mm rotor w 6 mounting bolts - 122g
Marta 180mm rotor w 6 mounting bolts - 144g

Not sure where they got the 109 grams from. Maybe that is the weight of a 160mm rotor w no mounting hardware to make the weight weenie feel better? Not very weight weenieish to add that weight onto their wheelset though.......
Indeed by not weighting the bolts with the rotor ... which kind of makes sense since you can use different bolts, e.g. titanium (as I do) and save about 10 grams/rotor. Your weights are actually a bit optimistic with the standard steel bolts.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Davide said:
Indeed by not weighting the bolts with the rotor ... which kind of makes sense since you can use different bolts, e.g. titanium (as I do) and save about 10 grams/rotor. Your weights are actually a bit optimistic with the standard steel bolts.
Optimistic? They are actual, no optimism involved at all. Like I said, I am not a weight weenie, so I really dont give a sh!t how much they weigh, but that IS what mine ended up.

:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.