Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been doing a TON of research on this subject...now I'd like some input.

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper that is setup more for XC light AM use. I am relocating out west (from IL) and want a 2nd bike for more aggressive riding. I spent a couple months out west this last summer and fell in love with Moab/Gooseberry type conditions. So I'm looking for a used rig under $1,500 that has 150-170mm single crow front fork that can go uphill. I'm 6'1 170lbs with a 33in inseam so I'm probably going to go with a large since I want to pedal this thing. I know my Stumpy can do most everything in this area, but I like to haul through this terrain and my bike is just too light and too XC oriented.

The perfect bike so far would be a Nomad, but they are fairly pricey for me. I've looked through hundreds of classified ads on here and pinkbike, found quite a few good deals, but there are always questions in my mind before I can pull the trigger. Seems like sizing is an issue...not too many bikes out there in this range that are larges. Also, when you go back prior to 2008 not too many manufactures supplied this light DH heavy AM use bike. Seems like they have gotten more popular in the last couple years.

I've wondered about taking a DH rig and getting rid of the dual crown in favor of a single crown, but am concerned about screwing up the geometry. Also having a long seat tube length so I can raise up the seat would be nice, but again very few DH bikes have that option.

I WILL visit the north west this summer and want my bike to be able to handle some DH riding too.

I know this could be posted in the AM forum, but I could easily modify my Stumpy for better AM use...I want a bike that is quite a bit more aggressive than my Stumpy and going with an Enduro or such is just not an option.

Bike options (please add to them!!!)

Santa Cruz - Nomad (expensive)
Specialized - SX Trail (VERY hard to find a large)
Yeti - AS-X (seems good...few larges out there too)
Intense - Uzzi (not too many out there)
Turner Highline
....etc

Any thoughts/advice please chime in. Sizing, models to stay away from, best bang for the buck...

thx everyone!

BQ

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Sounds like you want a freeride/AM bike more than DH actually. Lots of good choices out there.

I think generally speaking most people go with a slightly smaller frame so they can maneuver it underneath them, possibly why you don't see too many L/XL bikes as you move towards the DH segment. Some frame manufacturers now even use the same virtual seat tube height, and just vary other parts of the geometry for the different sizes.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
what about an Enduro by Specialized.... more plusher travel then the stuntjumper and only about 3 pound weight difference

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
take a look at a giant reignX. very similar to the nomad, but I think it's a bit cheaper.

I'm on my second full season on mine and it's still ticking along. I do DH only with it (mammoth, bootleg, etc), and it's handled everything so far. yes, it's a bit bumpier than a full DH rig, but it definitely gets the job done.

·
pin it ya fairy
29 Posts
i have an sx trail 2 2010, thing pedals amazing for the type of bike it is, stock its 36 pounds with pedals, but you can get them to 33-34pounds very easily, just sacrificing durability. but for an everything bike this is definitly it. imo

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
what about an Enduro by Specialized.... more plusher travel then the stuntjumper and only about 3 pound weight difference
The Enduro is just a step up from my Stumpy and really too close overall. The SX Trail would be a better 2nd bike IMO. If I could go back in time I would prob buy an Enduro and just have one bike.

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
norbar said:
Banshee rune - they got quite nice prices for new bikes. Think about it ;)
I've looked at the Banshee's, but was looking more towards the Slopestyle...looks like a pretty sweet ride.

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bryguy17 said:
take a look at a giant reignX. very similar to the nomad, but I think it's a bit cheaper.

I'm on my second full season on mine and it's still ticking along. I do DH only with it (mammoth, bootleg, etc), and it's handled everything so far. yes, it's a bit bumpier than a full DH rig, but it definitely gets the job done.
YES, the Reign X is one I can add to the list. Affordable too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Reign X - Great frame, low bb and long-ish wheelbase. I've done lift served days at Northstart and Mammoth on it when I was in between DH bikes. Recommended.

AS-X - High BB and short wheelbase, basically it sucked at high speed cornering unless I ran a 5-6" fork and had the rear in the short travel setting. Not recommended.

Kona Coiler has great geometry and a reasonable price point. Not sure about the Magic link. You can find one used for cheap that's pre-Magic link.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
bquinn said:
The Enduro is just a step up from my Stumpy and really too close overall. The SX Trail would be a better 2nd bike IMO. If I could go back in time I would prob buy an Enduro and just have one bike.
The new enduro is an entirely different beast. It descends as well as an SXT and climbs about as well as your stumpy... Maybe better.

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
gurp said:
Reign X...

Kona Coiler...
completely agree with this post. I used to have a coiler and that bike could do just about anything. it wasn't the best at really anything, but it definitely made up in it's weaknesses with its versatility. if you want a bombproof bike that can still climb, this should be high on your list. it's cheap too.
I've not spent any time on a reign, but I have been looking for one. they usually run a little more than the coiler, but they also have a more advanced suspension linkage.
I don't think you can really go wrong with what you're looking for with either one of these bikes.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Heh, guess I didn't actually suggest a bike. I like my Rocky Mountain Slayer.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
In the northeast, the go to bike before the nomad was a sc bullit built light. You could probably find someone unloading one of those cheap. I've also never been let down by my c-dale Gemini, which I know for a fact you can get a great deal on. It's a heavy frame that can stand up to abuse, and mine has been getting lighter as time goes on with new components. I'm at 36lbs with a coil shock now.

In the last few years a whole group of slopestyle frames have come out that would seem to be what your looking for. Bottlerocket, rocky mtn slayer, and the intense ss come to mind.

Personally, I'd look for something with a 67 degree ha, and go from there.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts