Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Seimens Team Wannabe
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a fairly-really light crankset and bottom bracket combo for an ultralight build. I'm up for all options, as long as its under $500 or so. Where can I get them? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, $500 isn't alot when one is gram counting...BUT.... I ride a Ritchey WCS (44/32/22) with 170mm arms (524g stock) combined with a Crank Brothers Ti ISIS BB (178g with bolts) and you are well under $500 and at 702g (without pedals) which is well under most of the external BB crankests that are sold as one piece...even alot of the carbon fiber ones. Add in some extralite rings and Ti bolts and you can drop another 60-80grams at least, but that will bump you over $500.

The one problem is is that Richey no longer makes the WCS mountain cranks (or any mountain cranks), hasen't for years (2003?). I scored two brand new ones on ebay over the summer (for $200usd for both) which I will covet for the rest of my days. And no, I'm not selling the one I'm not using....it's for spare parts.

I have maybe 4000miles on this crankset and I adore it. Maybe the most under-rated crankset ever made....IMO.

BTW, those are actual weights, on my scale...not published weights. Next time I have the bits off the bike for cleaning I'll shoot some pics on the scale.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
npoak said:
Cobalt crank = 565g (claimed) @ $350usd
Cobalt Ti BB = 178g (180g claimed) @ $180usd

743g for $530usd.....not bad actually.....
I have this combo, but with the CroMo BB. If you look on eBay, you can get the cranks for $250, and the CroMo BBs for around $65, and I've seen the Ti BBs discounted on there.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
npoak said:
How is the CroMo CB BB?
I wish I could tell you that it works great, but the bad weather in Colorado has made it impossible for me to ride. I may resort to building a pump track in my garage if the snow doesn't stop and/or melt soon.;)

I'd planned on getting an SKF unit to go with the Cobalt cranks, but I wanted to test out Crank Bros' 5-year warranty on their own BB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
MileHighMark said:
I wish I could tell you that it works great, but the bad weather in Colorado has made it impossible for me to ride. I may resort to building a pump track in my garage if the snow doesn't stop and/or melt soon.;)

I'd planned on getting an SKF unit to go with the Cobalt cranks, but I wanted to test out Crank Bros' 5-year warranty on their own BB.
I've got about 200miles on a CB Ti BB, I splurged on it. So far so good but I can tell little difference with it than the FSA ISIS BBs I've been riding for a while. I plan to ride it into the ground this winter just to see how it withstands. Granted..."winter" here in NYC is meaning 50-70F temps this year. So it might not be as brutal as it normally is.

I've had good luck with my CB parts and swear by Eggbeaters. I hope their new BBs work as well as the rest of their stuff.

·
MTB nut
81 Posts
c-dale 900 man said:
I'm looking for a fairly-really light crankset and bottom bracket combo for an ultralight build. I'm up for all options, as long as its under $500 or so. Where can I get them? Thanks in advance.
How about the FRM cranks? I am running a set of the 2x9 and they weighed in at 700g with the bottom bracket and you can get them from Stan's for under $500.

https://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_26/products_id/86

The triples look to be pretty light too.

https://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_26/products_id/85

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
well...

ATIK integrated crankset with FRM rings:
698g and still less than 500$

lighter than the FRM 2x9 crankset:thumbsup:

@npoak:
slight correction to your CrankBros weights:
Cobalt crank = 618 REAL @ $350usd

796g for $530usd.....NOT THAT LIGHT actually !!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Axis II said:
AC 113mm ISIS. Sugino SSIII 42/32, Salsa 20t, alloy bolts
correct- almost the same weight here but i prefer no cheesy ISIS BBs. you can get the Next LPs also in square which i would prefer over ISIS.

too bad Race Face discontinued those cranks.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Though, not as light as ninos, the FRM build is pretty light as well.

Mine is a FRM Cu2 Integrated 510g + 7g cap
Token Int road bb with SKF bearings 85g.
FSA Chainring bolts 13g
Extralite 44-32-22 = 98g
Total 713g

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Eddie3dfx said:
Though, not as light as ninos, the FRM build is pretty light as well.

Mine is a FRM Cu2 Integrated 510g + 7g cap
Token Int road bb with SKF bearings 85g.
FSA Chainring bolts 13g
Extralite 44-32-22 = 98g
Total 713g
ok - but is it still below 500$?? i have my doubts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
nino said:
ATIK integrated crankset with FRM rings:
698g and still less than 500$

lighter than the FRM 2x9 crankset:thumbsup:

@npoak:
slight correction to your CrankBros weights:
Cobalt crank = 618 REAL @ $350usd

796g for $530usd.....NOT THAT LIGHT actually !!
Thank you for the weight there nino. I've not actually held or seen a cobalt crank. That being said my Ritchey WCS/CB Ti BB come in at 702g. I do love my crankset, though after 300miles or so I swapped out the CB Ti BB for a older FSA platinum pro BB (199g). I noticed a slight "tick" in the rotation and took the CB BB out just to isolate the problem, needless to say it is not in the FSA BB. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the CB BB....but it is pretty.

Below is a picture of the Ritchey WCS crankset I am talking about on my latest build.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
npoak said:
Cobalt crank = 565g (claimed) @ $350usd

743g for $530usd.....not bad actually.....
I popped my Cobalts on the scale, and got 650g (including ISIS mounting bolts and built-in extractors). The CroMo BB came in at 244g including the external rubber seals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.