Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
creationrebel said:
I'm trying to replace a set of heavy Slime tubes on my 34 pound all mountain machine.

If I can go back to regular tubes that won't flat a lot, I will.

The Slime tubes are about 310 grams each. I think I can save at least 200 grams with regular tubes.

I have 2.4 WTB Motoraptors.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

CR
Check out Schwalbe tires. I use them quite a bit and they are light, especially for their size, but have wear well for the most part.

Website here....

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
creationrebel said:
I'm trying to replace a set of heavy Slime tubes on my 34 pound all mountain machine.

If I can go back to regular tubes that won't flat a lot, I will.

The Slime tubes are about 310 grams each. I think I can save at least 200 grams with regular tubes.
Saving 200g is asking a lot. That means you're looking for a 110g tube.
I run Performance UltraLights (26 x 1.95-2.25) and they're 140g. For XC they're great. For downhill or freeride they wouldn't be too reliable.
I've used the the Performance LunarLights (26x1.95-2.25) at 99g. They're so thin they get holes in them just from looking at them.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
My personal favourites are either Continental or Michelin tubes. I think they are roughly 130-170g. I also use light Specialized tubes but for XC races only, as they aren't as durable for everyday trail riding.

Stay away from the cheap light tubes, or cheap tubes at all, (e.g. IRC ones) as they are of a lower quality and often have thin spots on the tube when they are inflated.

HTH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.