Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, you can't have both.

I need a new derailleur for my kids bike. It's a 1x 6 speed Shimano. So it doesn't need much tooth capacity although it does need to go up to 28t.

I have found a cheap derailleur in my parts bin but it weighs over 300g. Can I buy a Shimano road derailleur instead that would have a short cage and be lighter?

I'm not talking about moving up the scale to save a few grams. Just moving sideways picking the right type of derailleur from the right application to be lightest.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
I think some of the road stuff still used a different pull ratio on the RD's so you may not be able to drop one in and have it work correctly. I believe the 600 series might work, but you're still at about 250g. If I remember there was something about older dura ace that doesn't play well with normal SIS shifters but I could be thinking of something else. You'll need to research the max tooth capacity on any road derailleur though.

Otherwise any pre-11sp mountain derailleur should work as long as you use the correct shifter, you may want to post this in the drivetrain forum to confirm, I'm pretty sure the shifter was the deciding factor on everything until 11sp.

I would jump on ebay and look for a GS 8sp LX, XT, or XTR or look for a 600 series road derailleur. In any case, you're probably only looking at 50g of weight savings max. Current production altus/acera/tourney derailleurs work fine as well but they're also over 300g.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a cheap-looking Shimano TZ derailleur that weighs only 230g with no bolt. But it has a long cage that practically drags the ground on a 20 inch bike.

·
Registered
584 Posts
All 9sp and earlier Shimano road derailleurs should work, except for Dura Ace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts