Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got Vp frame and am taking the build from the bullit to put on the new frame. I'm thinking of building up the bullit frame to be around 35lbs for an all day pedaler. I plan on keeping the same FR geometry by using a 6 inch air fork....probably a '04 z150 SL. w/ full xt group and deemax/ust kenda nevegal set-up. Keeping the 5th element and fox 36 is out of the question b/c of budget.

Just curious of what you guys have experimented with as far as a lighter build for a Bullit frame. Send weights and pictures if you have them. Thanks!

Kirk- NC

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I need a recording.

FreshKirk said:
Just got Vp frame and am taking the build from the bullit to put on the new frame. I'm thinking of building up the bullit frame to be around 35lbs for an all day pedaler. I plan on keeping the same FR geometry by using a 6 inch air fork....probably a '04 z150 SL. w/ full xt group and deemax/ust kenda nevegal set-up. Keeping the 5th element and fox 36 is out of the question b/c of budget.

Just curious of what you guys have experimented with as far as a lighter build for a Bullit frame. Send weights and pictures if you have them. Thanks!

Kirk- NC
LOL! I've given this speech before, and I guess I ought to learn how to make a link to a past post. The Bullit can easily be built up to 32-33lb. bike that is very durable for fairly aggressive riding.

The red Bullit pictured is 32.6lbs. with a coil/air '04 Z150SL and an air shock. With your 5th you'd add a pound. The wheels are CrossMax XL disc models...strong and relatively light. The silver Bullit is 32.8lbs. with a Fox Van 36, air shock, and the same wheels. The Van 36 and that Z150SL are very close to each other in weight. A Bullit built up in this weight range is an awesome trail bike. I'm 54 and I can pedal these bikes around all day. I'd pass on the DeeMax and go CrossMax XLs for this kind of build. XLs are not glass slippers, they are very tough.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome.......thanks. Just what I was looking for. Is that the Hone crankset on the silver irg? How was your experience with the z150sl? reviews vary. I've owned the '04 z150 and the '05 z1 fr1...both awesome forks, just wandering if the air sprung feels anything like them.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Z150sl

FreshKirk said:
Awesome.......thanks. Just what I was looking for. Is that the Hone crankset on the silver irg? How was your experience with the z150sl? reviews vary. I've owned the '04 z150 and the '05 z1 fr1...both awesome forks, just wandering if the air sprung feels anything like them.
I have two of these forks, and they were the best air forks I've personally ever ridden in terms of fork action and tuning ability. That said, I really had to futz with it to get a good sag and full travel combination. There's was always just a touch too much compromise to get decent sag/ride height and full travel. What it boiled down to was that the fork was more like a reallly good 5" fork than a true 6" fork...a result of that sag and full travel balance that is hard to achieve on the SL...at least in my experience. I took out the ECC cart from the drive-side leg, and installed a Z150 cart with an '05 Z1FR1 spring. With the Doppio air leg still intact, these forks are great in their damping action and the tuneability.

The Hone crankset has been performing flawlessly. In reality it's an LX model with more of a Saint-style paint job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Bullit Light!

Dont' have any pictures as of yet, but just finished converting my Bullit into my XC bike.
Build list
1. 05 frame w/ DHX air
2. 05 RS Pike dual air
3. 05 crossmaxx XL
4. king head set
5. easton carbon ea70 610mm bar
6. thompson stem 100mm
7. thompson seat post
8. WTB rocket V seat
9. saint crank w/ triple rings
10. kenda Blue Groove UST tires
11. ODI lock on grips
12. XTR shifter & derailers

Total talley came out to 31.8 lbs. according to the scale at the LBS. It made a HUGE difference in how the bike handles. Amazing versatility as MTB. Considering it was at a porky 43lbs prior to this new build. But decided to buy a VPfree to turn that into my heavy FR bike and use the bullit as the XC bike. So far so goood! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.