Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently building up a single-speed based off of the eBay carbon frame. All that's left in my build are some decently light-weight wheels. I currently have some WTB laserdisc wheels that are just sitting around but am hoping for something lighter. Does anyone know of some bargain wheels in the 1,500g region? They dont have to be crazy durable as I am a very light rider, something that is light and cheap will do the trick. Thanks.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
seppk said:
Im currently building up a single-speed based off of the eBay carbon frame. All that's left in my build are some decently light-weight wheels. I currently have some WTB laserdisc wheels that are just sitting around but am hoping for something lighter. Does anyone know of some bargain wheels in the 1,500g region? They dont have to be crazy durable as I am a very light rider, something that is light and cheap will do the trick. Thanks.
If they use laserdisc lite hubs, just relace them to a lighter rim with lighter spokes.

I was looking for a budget race wheelset, so I built these up.

WTB laserlite hubs, DT 4.2d rims, DT revolution 1.8/1.5

came out to about 1540g.

·
Registered
303 Posts
http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_44/products_id/494 <1500g with beefy spokes <1400g with thin spokes. $435 complete. This is using their weight calculator so it may be off. Sent a rear hub in to be laced last year. They did not mind using my hub, did a great job with quick turnaround, and were priced very reasonably. Wheel has only needed minimal truing once.I used an arch rim as I wanted durability over weight, so take that into consideration. I weight 185 and beat on wheels some days.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I agree, if you're not all that concerned about durability, relacing your LD hubs to some NoTubes Crest rims is about as light and cheap as it gets. You're not even giving up a ton in durability, either. The rims are soft, but (rear hub aside) they'll last a good long while if you're careful with the build and true them occasionally.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
I think i'm the only one to have read the words "single speed" in the original post. Are you building the bike up with discs or V-brakes ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hardtailforever said:
I agree, if you're not all that concerned about durability, relacing your LD hubs to some NoTubes Crest rims is about as light and cheap as it gets. You're not even giving up a ton in durability, either. The rims are soft, but (rear hub aside) they'll last a good long while if you're careful with the build and true them occasionally.
If only that were the case... I forgot to mention the laserdisc wheels I have laying around have shimano deore hubs so using them is probably not the best option. Does anyone know of an eBay brand that has some decent and cheap wheels?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
For a singlespeed, most of the SS hubs you find are expensive if light, or cheap if not. If you're using a standard cassette hub and a conversion kit for single speed though, you can get all sorts of lightweight hubs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DeeEight said:
I think i'm the only one to have read the words "single speed" in the original post. Are you building the bike up with discs or V-brakes ?
Disc brakes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after some searching I found some brand-new american classic disc wheels for $320. Not a bad weight at around 1400g I just wish I could find a deal like I did on the wheels that are on my xc bike... ztr race wheelset-brand new for $300.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts