Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this e-mail and need help with a few things. It would be nice to understand all of the plusses and minuses of these different rims but there are a few thoughts that have me more concerned. My frames tire clearance is most limited by the seat tube so which of these rims helps lower the hight of the tire? Another concern is which of these have been the ones that people have been happy with? I don't really want to be light bicycles beta tester. I noticed some have a very short side sections and how will that effect the seat of the tire. I am planning on running tubeless FWIW. Thanks

the e-mail

For 29er rims, we have 3 types as below.
RM29C02: two version, hookless version & with hook version, 390g+/-15, USD165/pcs
RM29C06: 27mm wide hookless, 360g+/-15, USD165/pcs
RM29C07: 35mm wide hookless, 420g+/-15, USD180/pcs

29er 30mm wide hookless.jpg MTB 29er wider rim 30mm width Geometry Profile .jpg 29er hookless  rim( 27mm  outer width ).jpg new 29er hookless-35W-25D.jpg 27mm wide hookless 29er.jpg 29er 35mm wide hookless.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
LB Carbon Rim Differences

I just got this e-mail and need help with a few things. It would be nice to understand all of the plusses and minuses of these different rims but there are a few thoughts that have me more concerned. My frames tire clearance is most limited by the seat tube so which of these rims helps lower the hight of the tire? Another concern is which of these have been the ones that people have been happy with? I don't really want to be light bicycles beta tester. I noticed some have a very short side sections and how will that effect the seat of the tire. I am planning on running tubeless FWIW. Thanks

the e-mail

For 29er rims, we have 3 types as below.
RM29C02: two version, hookless version & with hook version, 390g+/-15, USD165/pcs

View attachment 883940 View attachment 883941 View attachment 883942 View attachment 883943 View attachment 883944 View attachment 883945
Hi GS,
I've been following LB for about 2 years now. They do have an excellent reputation and sold tons of rims/wheels. (You won't be a beta tester). I've heard they may even do OEM Carbon Rims for Spec/ROVAL. (Hence the newer hookless rims)
Since the rims are all the same diameter (BSD 622) the width of the rim has a slight effect on tire clearance, but not much. Your best bet for tire clearance is a low knob tire like Spec Renegade or Schwalbe Thunder Burt for the rear.

Differences - the newer designs are hookless. The industry is moving to hookless (Roval, Stans and now Enve). The carbon can be laid more uniformly so they are stronger & lighter. They also have a better seat to bead profile.

I would go with one of the below newer designs:
I have this rim laced with DT350s, and (32) DT Aerolite Spokes 1480gm for the set. These are best for XC. (22mm Inner Dia.)

I am going to build another set of wheels with the wider rim below:
Using Industry Nine Torch 24 Spoke Hubs & I9 Straight Pull Spokes.
(Less spokes for wider stiffer rim)
1580gm for the set. These are best for AM/Enduro. (30mm Inner Dia.)

RM29C02: This older rim design uses a shorter profile. I think the newer higher profile rims (above) are stronger and also require shorter spokes which can help stiffen the wheel a little more.

Hope this helps!

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
The hookless design is what got me over the hump on CF rims. I have the LB 27mm XC 29er rims and am awaiting delivery of my LB 35mm hookless 650b rims.

To me, hookless design is a game changer for CF rims. It adds that much more to the durability of the rim.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in the same boat as the OP and I've been lurking for days researching between the 30mm (RM29C02) vs 35mm (RM29C07). I've finally fed up so I'll go ahead and ask my question in this thread if you guys don't mind.

My question is...what is the minimum tire width for either of these 2 wheels?

Currently, I have Fast Trak 29x2.0 tires mounted on aluminum Rovals (21mm ID) that came with my 2013 Specialized Epic 29er. I would like to use these tires on the LB wheels, however I'm not sure if one should be mounting a 2.0 tire on a 35mm wheel.

I'm also trying to research exactly where is the line of diminishing return regarding wheel width. I understand my bike is for XC, however I purchased it with the intention that it will be my 1 and only bike to split the difference between friends with hybrids and those with trail bikes.

I will most likely never enter a race and my riding habits range anywhere from concrete (with the hybrid folks) to downhill ski resorts (trail guys, but blues and green runs only).

Any input is welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts