Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about adding a bashguard to my next build... who makes the lightest one that I could still beat the bejezus out of?

I like blackspire rings, so I was looking at this one: http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5946/263243/0/0 (bonus points because it says "lite god" on it AND matches my chanrings!).

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
I was looking at this MRP one:

It weighs the same as the Blackspire (60g) but is made of carbon and almost triple the price! But, the MRP goes up to a 40t, and I am using a 38 on my 1x10 set up. The MRP is also made in America.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I vote for BBG also. Run the superlight if you want the lightest but it's fragile. Run the standard thickness with holes for more strength or just the plain standard without holes/slots. Price and service can't be beat. They are clean, no huge logos, work great, etc..

·
Registered
121 Posts
MRP gets my vote here, 30-34t @ 49g. The decal peels off effortlessly to make it super clean looking. And if you're one for tuning then there is a blank canvas for cutting windows into or drilling. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
My congrats to BBG also, I have purchased from them many times, probably 3-4 guards.

They do offer a 28 gram version, but it is paper thin and wouldn't stand up to even the lightest bash, I have one on my "race only" bike, just for chain retention.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
dhpete93 said:
MRP gets my vote here, 30-34t @ 49g. The decal peels off effortlessly to make it super clean looking. And if you're one for tuning then there is a blank canvas for cutting windows into or drilling. :)

How did you find one so light, claimed weight 60 grams.Did you weigh the decals?

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I think the new hollowed out E13 is the lightest bashguard meant for real bashing. it's also fairly wide which helps it slide over stuff, rather than getting hung up.
If this isn't a DH bike you can probably get by with the BBG guild but the MRP and Blackspire specifically say they are "light duty, not designed for high impact".

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I should have clarified- Something that can take whatever I'd dish out to a 4" travel bike. I've learned first hand exactly how fast you can go down a rocky hill before you lose control :D

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.