Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys getting them down to? I'm not so impressed with mine yet.

I'm running the Anthem X3:

m970 xtr Cranks setup as a 2x10
Easton Haven Carbon bars
2ti egg beaters
Joplin dropper seat post (I'm keeping it because it's worth the weight penalty the way I ride)

Up next in no particular order:

Wheelset
tubeless
Possibly stem (I'm not convinced I'll loose too much here, open to suggestions?)
Rear cassette as the SLX is chunky (though I'm not sure what's the best option value wise)

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
The biggest weight savers will be your wheelset and tire combo. If you want a fast light wheelset consider the American Classic 29 Tubeless in white. They will match up pretty good with your frame and have excellent build quality and very fast bearings. They are a 1600g wheelset, and if you couple them with Maxxis Ikon EXC which mount up tubeless very easily...you should easily drop 2+ lb. off your bike.

I would go with carbon bars, and maybe a carbon post, new brake rotors, and SRAM PG-1080 cassette. (nearly the same as the XX, but less expensive).

Ofcourse I am talking about $1k upgrade depending on where you shop, but lightening up your bike is not cheap.

The hurtful thing about that is the cost for the upgrades essentially put at the Anthem X 29 One pricepoint :(

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
dubdryver said:
The biggest weight savers will be your wheelset and tire combo. If you want a fast light wheelset consider the American Classic 29 Tubeless in white. They will match up pretty good with your frame and have excellent build quality and very fast bearings. They are a 1600g wheelset, and if you couple them with Maxxis Ikon EXC which mount up tubeless very easily...you should easily drop 2+ lb. off your bike.

Ofcourse I am talking about $1k upgrade depending on where you shop, but lightening up your bike is not cheap.

The hurtful thing about that is the cost for the upgrades essentially put at the Anthem X 29 One pricepoint :(
The wheelset on the Anthem X29 1 and the 2 use the same rims, and they are not light.

The DT Swiss 350 rear hub on the 1 is a nice touch compared to the Shimano 529 on the 2.

Stiil I think if I were going to spend $3,700 for an Anthem X, I think I would get the 2, sell the stock wheelset and get a really nice wheelset with lighter rims.

On a less important note, I like the color of the 2 better anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a little bit odd, but have you guys seen anybody run Cyclocross wheelsets and tires on a 29r.

I think I could get away with the traction loss, but I think this may be worth considering. What kind of weight saving could I see?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
LORENZ said:
It's a little bit odd, but have you guys seen anybody run Cyclocross wheelsets and tires on a 29r.

I think I could get away with the traction loss, but I think this may be worth considering. What kind of weight saving could I see?
If you are riding where a Joplin truly comes in handy, I don't see CX wheels and tires being an asset. . . . YMMV

·
Registered
346 Posts
jeffj said:
The wheelset on the Anthem X29 1 and the 2 use the same rims, and they are not light.

The DT Swiss 350 rear hub on the 1 is a nice touch compared to the Shimano 529 on the 2.

Stiil I think if I were going to spend $3,700 for an Anthem X, I think I would get the 2, sell the stock wheelset and get a really nice wheelset with lighter rims.

On a less important note, I like the color of the 2 better anyway.
That is the route I went and with good online prices probably spent about the same as the X1.

Got the X2 and sold off most of it then bought the XTR trail group and Stans Crest wheels.

Mine is about 24.6lbs without being crazy last time I weighed it (720mm wide bars, 180mm discs, standard weight pedals...)

Look up jreinan01 posts on here as well. He is in the process of an awesome X3 build and shooting for 22 or 23lbs I think!

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I don't see CX wheels/tires as being a viable option on a FS 29er..or not a realistic one. You can get wheelsets in mtn just as light as any CX...its only the tires that are lighter.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
DanielM3 said:
That is the route I went and with good online prices probably spent about the same as the X1.

Got the X2 and sold off most of it then bought the XTR trail group and Stans Crest wheels.

Mine is about 24.6lbs without being crazy last time I weighed it (720mm wide bars, 180mm discs, standard weight pedals...)

Look up jreinan01 posts on here as well. He is in the process of an awesome X3 build and shooting for 22 or 23lbs I think!
Sweet build Daniel.

Looks like you lost a few GIANT (as in 'humungous) decals along the way too :thumbsup:

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
just an observation, but how often do you knock over the pet food & water? There is no way I could put it in such a location w/o me or my gf knocking it over. :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy smokes. jrienan01 did some work for us Anthem 29r guys. Here's his tear down of a X3. Thanks dude.

These measurements are taken from my torn down Anthem X 29er 3 - Size Large

All weights are in grams

Frameset 2690.0
Fork 1768.0
Front Tube 187.0
Front Tire 707.0
Front Wheel 957.0
Rear Tube 185.0
Rear Tire 702.0
Rear Wheel 1200.0
Front Axle 72.0
Rear Skewer 66.0
Front Brake 318.0
Front Rotor 153.0
Front Rotor Screws 13.0
Rear Brake 310.0
Rear Rotor 109.0
Rear Rotor Screws 14.0
Crankset w/o BB 872.0
Bottom Bracket 75.0
Chain 272.0
Cassette w/ plastic spoke guard 388.0
Front Derailleur 155.0
Rear Derailleur 273.0
Front Shifter 143.0
Rear Shifter 150.0
Saddle 222.0
Seatpost 313.0
Bars 270.0
Stem 173.0
Grips 103.0
Housing 53.0
Front Reflector 31.0

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is your head stack neccissary when running the lefty? I guess the crowns on that Lefty are non adjustable thus the need for all the spacers? Does the lefty come in a tapered headtube if I wanted it. It looks like yours is 1 1/8 upper and lower?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
LORENZ said:
Is your head stack neccissary when running the lefty? I guess the crowns on that Lefty are non adjustable thus the need for all the spacers? Does the lefty come in a tapered headtube if I wanted it. It looks like yours is 1 1/8 upper and lower?
no need for tapered when you have dual crowns. Even DH forks are straight 1+1/8" if they're dual crown, and motorcycle forks are usually only 1"

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if you could machine down a stem to fit in between the frame and top clamp of the lefty? That could drop your controls down 2.5" or so.

When I was looking for bars, I was particularly aware of the rise. Flat bars and 29r are friends. I know one of the design perimeters of the engineers at Giant, or any 29 builder for that matter, was to chop the head tube down to the absolute minimum in order to keep the grips as low as possible. We already have a 1.5" hight disadvantage when it comes to 26rs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.