Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bros,

Does anyone ride with an HID ARC handlebar mount and a Halogen headlamp?

I have this set up which just came in, no chance to ride it yet. Comparing the two, it seems the halogen just blends in to the point that its not really even there. The HID is Blue and the Halogen is yellow in color. Furthermore, the halogen is dimmer, i believe its a 13watt bulb. Both have Li-Ion batteries.

Do you guys or gals have any thoughts on running this system together? I am wondering if the halogen helmet light is a waste? The HID lamp shoots further ahead with a more clear brighter pattern, so I was thinking use it on the bar as a flood. For switchbacks and sharp turns, the halogen headlamp should do the job. This is strictly for offroad use, no roadkill here. :p

Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
981 Posts
The helmet mounted halogen will still be handy when when you make tight turns or ride switchbacks, because your handlebar HID will be pointed straight while you can peek to the side with the helmet light as you approach a turn.

Personally, I think one helmet HID is good for most riding conditions. You point the light where you need when you need it.

I used to run a setup like you mentioned. Now I just run one helmet HID.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankenbiker,

What about when it gets foggy? as the light beams down it crosses through your peripheral making the fog amplified. Isnt that the reason for running a bar mount?

Would you recommend getting rid of the Halogen, and just runnnig the HID helmet mount?

excess?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
Bros,

I have this set up which just came in, no chance to ride it yet.
Go ride a few times - then see what YOU think, and we can all compare notes with some pertinent insight gained from experience! :rolleyes:

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I ran a turbocat halogen/ L&M HID combo and also found the halogen to be useless since it got drowned out by the HID. I also found different yellow & blue beams to be distracting.

Now I ride with L&M HIDs on both the bar & helmet. Much nicer :cool:

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
HID on Helmet.

I've only got one HID, a L&M. No way am I going to spend seven to eight hundred dollars on lights! It came originally as a bar mount. I ordered a helmet mount last summer to try it out and I prefer it on the helmet. In fact it is more than adequate and the light goes where your eyes go. I carry a small Cateye LED as a backup in my pack.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
my $.02

SHAHEEB said:
Bros,

Does anyone ride with an HID ARC handlebar mount and a Halogen headlamp?

I have this set up which just came in, no chance to ride it yet. Comparing the two, it seems the halogen just blends in to the point that its not really even there. The HID is Blue and the Halogen is yellow in color. Furthermore, the halogen is dimmer, i believe its a 13watt bulb. Both have Li-Ion batteries.

Do you guys or gals have any thoughts on running this system together? I am wondering if the halogen helmet light is a waste? The HID lamp shoots further ahead with a more clear brighter pattern, so I was thinking use it on the bar as a flood. For switchbacks and sharp turns, the halogen headlamp should do the job. This is strictly for offroad use, no roadkill here. :p

Thanks for the insight
The halogen is a waste. My L & M HID throws a great beam. I prefer it mounted on the bar

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I use only Jetlites Xenon handlebar & helmet lights. I don't need HID lights. It costs too much money for bike lights. When the manufacturing cost of HID drops substantially, then I might buy it. At this time , it is a waste of valuable hard earn cash. I prefer to spend on my other toys. :D

·
Registered
981 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
What about when it gets foggy? as the light beams down it crosses through your peripheral making the fog amplified.
I can't address the fog issue because where I live and ride in SoCal, fog is not a problem.

I agree with what the others say, the only way to know is to ride and test it out yourself. We all post based on our subjective opinions based on our local trail conditions, which may differ from yours.

Excessive? Well only you can answer that. If on you test ride you feel more control and ease with have both lights, then it's worth the price. But do try out the HID on the helmet though.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Picard said:
I don't need HID lights. It costs too much money for bike lights. When the manufacturing cost of HID drops substantially, then I might buy it. At this time , it is a waste of valuable hard earn cash. I prefer to spend on my other toys. :D
At the risk of going off topic :) ....

I was holding out on HID for the longest time too. I thought $400-$500 was too much money for a light and I could buy a nice new fork for that price ;)

But when I found an 05 NiteRider Blowtorch HID for $270, I had to jump on it and I have enjoyed it since. One of the best mtn bike related purchases I've made. I use it on my commutes too.

You can find some nice HID units from $230-$300 right now. Bill Larson has the Marwi HID for $250 and Chucks Bikes has the Cateye Stad3 for $300. Still not pennies, but not too shabby considering HID was $400 plus not too long ago.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
OP was asking about an HID AND a Halogen...

Picard said:
I use only Jetlites Xenon handlebar & helmet lights. I don't need HID lights. It costs too much money for bike lights. When the manufacturing cost of HID drops substantially, then I might buy it. At this time , it is a waste of valuable hard earn cash. I prefer to spend on my other toys. :D
not an argument between the virtues of each. I paid $300 for my HID light 3 years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.