Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on a replacement chain...

Am currently running a SRAM PC-68 on my 8sp XTR drivetrain (old school). Chain needs replacing and am looking for something lighter

Any thoughts on what I can get that would be lighter and offer better/faster shifting performance

Thanks in advance

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
KMC seems to be the lightest. I just bought one as a replacement for my XTR so i don't know how long it will last. But it seems to get decent reviews.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are there any drawbacks from using a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed system? I also have to change my chain soon and was wondeirng about this (currently using a SRAM PC 68 chain and am happy with it - especially the price).

Thanks,

K

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
xckonakeith said:
Are there any drawbacks from using a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed system? I also have to change my chain soon and was wondeirng about this (currently using a SRAM PC 68 chain and am happy with it - especially the price).

Thanks,

K
not sure. never used a 9sp chain on a 8sp setup.

·
The Dog.
959 Posts
xckonakeith said:
Yes, there can be some drawbacks. Usually the spacing on the cassette isn't an issue as long as you stick to a wider 9 speed chain (I know SRAM is wider, pretty sure KMC's are too). The spacing between the chainrings up front can, however, be an issue if you have an 8 speed specific crankset/chainrings. The chain can just sit between the rings as you spin away, go nowhere, and cry. Most modern cranks/chainrings are 8/9 speed compatible, in which case you would be fine.

Personally, I like to stick with the wider 7/8 speed chains because they tend to last a little longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts