Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 2x9 crankset and i was wondering which one to get. I have been looking at the Fsa Afterburner Worldcup crankset that weighs about 600grams with rings. But i can not find anyother crankset with that weight and budget with a 2x9 set-up. Would it be an option to get crank arms then buy a 29t and a 44t rings for it? But i don't know if all crank arms are compatable to do that.

Also i was wondering what some light weight chainrings are that i would get if i had to build up my own. I would like to get some boone but they are way to expensive. I am going to try to get it in the low 200's.

Can i get some opinions on these cranks and where to get them, or some good light componations?

Thanks a lot!
Peace

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya...

bhsavery said:
FRM makes one. Even one with the integrated BB. Check out www.notubes.com
Ya, i saw that, but then i looked at the price and i just set that aside. As i said before i am looking to get them in the low 200's.

I also just saw the Strong light Oxale II crankset that weigh's about 580grm. But i don't know the price.

Peace

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
might be more than you need weight wise and money wise but what about the Raceface Dues crankset? Comes with a BB and entire setup is around 820grams... that's with a small granny ring that you might be able to take off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ssuperx10001 said:
based on the new agerburner seen one on the trail yesterday,just released should be 560'g
i guess=the new afterburner is only 599 with a triple -----long live the 2x9
are you saying that they just recently came out with a lighter afterburner worldcup 2x9 crankset?
if so...where to buy where to buy!

peace

·
Registered
99 Posts
hmmm

dont know sure local bike store could hook you up,i am just waiting for more info.
guy riding them was a local expert racer on ti hardtail,his comment was that they were really nice and much stiffer then xtr's??still to new to tell
i am ordering them soon so i will report back then

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ssuperx10001 said:
dont know sure local bike store could hook you up,i am just waiting for more info.
guy riding them was a local expert racer on ti hardtail,his comment was that they were really nice and much stiffer then xtr's??still to new to tell
i am ordering them soon so i will report back then
are you ordering the ones that are for 2x9 setup or just a regular 3 ring's? How are you ordering them and what is the price you are getting them for?
thanks
peace

·
Registered
970 Posts
to run a 29/44 2x9 setup you just need to make sure the cranksarms are a 5 bolt compact pattern (94 BCD). Alternative to the FSA's are Raceface Turbine or Next LP. These are no longer made but many places still have stock. In regards to light rings Specialties TA are probably the lightest followed by Cannondale and then FSA.

Cya, John.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aussie_yeti said:
to run a 29/44 2x9 setup you just need to make sure the cranksarms are a 5 bolt compact pattern (94 BCD). Alternative to the FSA's are Raceface Turbine or Next LP. These are no longer made but many places still have stock. In regards to light rings Specialties TA are probably the lightest followed by Cannondale and then FSA.

Cya, John.
Yeah, thanks a lot for the information...

I found the stonglight oxale cranks for just under 200 new. They weigh advertised at 580 grams so thats pretty good. And i just ordered a New American Classic BB that weighs about 157 grams so that setup should be a decent one.

what do you think about that?

thanks
peace

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

is that a good weight for cranks and BB? or is that still on the heavy side? It sure would drop a lot coming from the raceface projidy xc cranks though......
any other suggestions??

thanks
peace

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
My mate runs a Middleburn Duo, thats prettt light. Guess if you got the current ISI version with a scandium bottom bracket would be pretty light overall.

Stu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.