Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some looking around before posting, but I don't think I saw anything that really answers my question.

About 20 minutes ago I was thinking about getting a set of American Classic 29er Disc wheels and what I really wanted to know was if anyone is running them tubeless and how it is working out. However, after reading all the posts about how bad those wheels are I've got new questions. Well, I guess if you're running the ACs with a tubeless setup and you're happy, I'd like to hear from you.

Now, I want to buy or build a set of lightweight 29er disc wheels that I can run tubeless whether it be a Stan's kit or some other tubeless setup. I weight about 136lbs and I will be using the wheels for XC Marathons and regular XC races. From a built standpoint my first two thoughts were the American Classics or Bontrager Race-X-Lites. Anyone want to give me their thoughts on these?

From the standpoint of building wheels, I can get just about anything and put it together. My first thought would be Stan's rims with DT240 hubs. Although, I could get Salsa rims or DT I guess. From a hub standpoint, pretty much anything goes, except I DO NOT want center-lock hubs. Of course I'd like to stay within a reasonable price range too. So what do you guys recommend and why? Thanks!

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
At your weight, the AC wheels are a near perfect fit. They run stans just fine. I ran them in both 26 and 29er.
I would run these wheels and call it done for myself if they had more engagement points. I'm now spoiled with the i9 120pt system, and really won't ride other hubs for SS. That's just me. The 60pt i9 wheels on my gearie is ok.

I have 3 sets of AC hubs. I'm 150lbs.

For building wheels from scratch, I really like the stans 355 rim, for me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something else I thought of too was to buy the AC wheelset because for built wheels the price is incredible. If the rear hub takes a dump on me, which it sounds like it might I could just rebuild the wheel with a different hub at some point.

·
This place needs an enema
17,254 Posts
ndbike said:
Now, I want to buy or build a set of lightweight 29er disc wheels that I can run tubeless whether it be a Stan's kit or some other tubeless setup. I weight about 136lbs and I will be using the wheels for XC Marathons and regular XC races.
You are an ideal candidate for the new Bontrager TLR rims (28h). If I were building them for you I'd lace them to DT 240s hubs (also 28h) using DT Aerolites, 2x, with alloy nips.

That gives you a stupid light wheelset that's virtually bombproof for your 136#. It's also tubeless ready. Win/win.

MC

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mikesee said:
You are an ideal candidate for the new Bontrager TLR rims (28h). If I were building them for you I'd lace them to DT 240s hubs (also 28h) using DT Aerolites, 2x, with alloy nips.MC
Isn't that what the new Bontrager Race-X-Lite Disc TLR 29er wheels essentially are? I thought all Race-X-Lite level wheels got the Bontrager branded version of the DT 240 hub? If this is the case, maybe my best choice is the pre-built Bontrager wheelset.

I've built my own wheels in the past, but I'm just feeling lazy about the whole thing right now.

·
cask conditioned
625 Posts
I weigh 150 and I've been abusing my 1600g AC wheels for a while now with no problems. I've run many tire combo's with no tubes using only Stans yellow rim tape and some goop with no issues... even at insanely low psi's. I'm used to King hubs but I've been surprised that I don't miss them. Seems AC recently fixed some of the issues that have plagued their hubs too.

·
17,254 Posts
ndbike said:
Isn't that what the new Bontrager Race-X-Lite Disc TLR 29er wheels essentially are? I thought all Race-X-Lite level wheels got the Bontrager branded version of the DT 240 hub? If this is the case, maybe my best choice is the pre-built Bontrager wheelset.

I've built my own wheels in the past, but I'm just feeling lazy about the whole thing right now.
edited:
The TLR pre-built wheelset definitely doesn't use Aerolite's. That's not a dealbreaker in and of itself, but if you're sweating the details it's worth considering.

MC

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I like Mike

ndbike said:

I have a set of AC/Stans wheels and they've been great [no issues] and I have a set of Mikesee's wheels w/Hugi 240 hubs and they've been even better. You can't go wrong either way, however, w/Mikesee's you'll KNOW who and how the wheel was built. I don't know if the production Bontragers are hand built. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a pair of AC wheels and weigh about 185 lbs. I found it was easy to run them tubeless. However, when I ran pressures down to 30 psi, I ended up denting the rim due to bottoming out. This casued a massive tire blowout that was un-repairable.

I then switched to the No-Tubes hoops, and I found they work much better tubeless with the bead locking feature. They are also wider, which helps with the tire bottoming and denting. A friend of mine actually bottomed out his tire and dented the Stans rim. He didn't even realize it happened and went on to ride them for another week!!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
mikesee said:
IIRC, the TLR pre-built wheelset uses centerlock hubs. And they definitely don't use Aerolite's.

MC
The picture that they show on the website shows 6 bolt hubs on the TLR wheels. My prototype set also has the 6-bolt hubs. I have no idea about the spokes...probably Competitions though if I had to guess.

·
SS or Die
354 Posts
Not sure how much dosh you got to flick around on these wheels but I currently run Industry9 hubs and spokes laced to ZTR notubes rims. They are strong and weigh 1580grams with out skewers and rotors. With an Ignotor and karma combo tubeless the wheels are 191g lighter than my Mavic crossmax SL's that roll on UST larsens!

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,201 Posts
Wtf?

ndbike said:
I weight about 136lbs and I will be using the wheels for XC Marathons and regular XC races. From a built standpoint my first two thoughts were the American Classics or Bontrager Race-X-Lites. Anyone want to give me their thoughts on these?
Dude! 136lbs! I think I weighed that when I was about 15 and had no body fat. Are you like 3' tall?

On my best day looking like a concentration camp victim I might get down to 170 & I'm about 180 now. At your weight, you've got very little to worry about in wheels. For what it's worth, my wife has the Am. Classic wheels on her Retrotec and they've done a really good job for her going up/over/around the Alps here. ;-)

·
Registered
85 Posts
AC wheels- good deal for what you get. I put a pair on my bike w/ many diff. tire options aggressive to wt conscious race tires, cross, even some road touring. Not that I have boco experince on 29 wheels, these things are fast and light. Rode them hard for my season 6-7 hundies, many short course, much training even pulling a b.o.b. for 500 miles.
So maybe 2500-3000 worthy miles was fun and worth it but now my rear wheel is toast, I will have to blame myself as racing on flats and such is no match for these light wheels.
Hubs are fine. I am 155#s, light on my riding style but aggressive. I will be turning to a hand built longer lasting wheel set for this coming season.
What up w/ those DT ceramic bearing hubs, light and long lasting?

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
I was considering AC wheels (hubs) until I borrowed a front last season... the bearings were toast and they were less than a season old. The guy who loaned it to me wasn't even a racer, just a recrational rider. Since then I've asked others and the consensus is they're silly light but the bearings are less than reliable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm running Stans ZTR355's laced to American Classics (wheels built by Notubes), and absolutlely love the setup. I'm 165 and have been running these for several months. Stiff, durable and extremely lightweight.

My understanding is AC started using stainless bearings in 2006, and this has eliminated most of the durability issues from earlier hubs. My experience has been great thus far!

- Tim

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,201 Posts
Just a thought..

Maxrep said:
The A/C rear hub is not stiff! Nor does it build into a stiff wheel. Spoke flange thickness and close spoke flange spacing make this wheel quite flexy.

I am glad that you have not experienced durability issues with the hubs. Your fortune, however, does not make the A/C hub durable.

Like the boy that cried wolf, American Classic hubs have a time honored heritage of sucking a strong suck, all the while claiming the current issue has just been addressed, and the hubs will sucketh no more.

When A/C finally builds a reliable hub, you will be pay a more realistic price. The current price represents the consumers need to swallow the bitter pill of mediocre craftsmanship.
Somehow, I think we can safely say that Maxrep is definitely not an A/C fan and could be slightly biased. No? ;-)

I've got essentially the same hub from WTB and have been abusing the hell out of 'em built to Salsa Delgados for almost 4 years. Awesome setup, but not the lightest. Like they say, Strong, Cheap, Light.... pick any 2. Like I said before, I run quite a bit heavier than most of these tiny kids. However, I do ride "light". You have to when you run fully rigid.

Good luck.

·
17,254 Posts
twieland said:
My understanding is AC started using stainless bearings in 2006, and this has eliminated most of the durability issues from earlier hubs.
That's what they've said every year for the past three years!

Ha!

MC

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.