Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get light 2.3"(2.25") tires for rocks and roots (sometimes wet) with acceptable roling resistance.

Now I'm looking at Nokian Gazza All Mountain
Is it good choice?

Or it could be better to look at Schwalbe? What theirs tire will be most suitable for my conditions/wishes?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Schwalbe

Nobby Nic 2.4. True 2.3 600g; not the most durable.
The Cortez 2.4 is heavier but a decent roller and more durable.
ylem said:
I'm going to get light 2.3"(2.25") tires for rocks and roots (sometimes wet) with acceptable roling resistance.

Now I'm looking at Nokian Gazza All Mountain
Is it good choice?

Or it could be better to look at Schwalbe? What theirs tire will be most suitable for my conditions/wishes?

Thank you.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hi, great tyre choice... I use the 2.3 and 2.5 sized Nokkian Gazza All Mountains. I ride in the UK where we have a lot of wet trails in woodland - some rocky (but not much) in Wales.

The tyres from memory (feel free to correct me) are around the 800gm, so not exactly light. What do I like about them - great bite on the trail and durable enough so that I don't have to worry when hitting high speed.

I tried the Schwalbe's but for me they seemed too light and lacked the durability I was looking for. If weight is important, I probably wouldn't go with the Gazza's... However, weight is over-rated for my liking. I remember people drilling holes in parts and frames in the 90's and all the self-induced injury of bike failures. For me, it's go durable and build muscle to carry the weight. In no time at all, you'll be a stronger rider who can tackle bigger stuff without the fear of bike fatigue.

Happy riding : )

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The Conti Mountain King 2.4 Protection in Black Chili rubber are grippy on wet roots and rocks and weighed the same as the Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E rubber tires they replaced on my SXC at 745gms each. They certainly roll faster than the Nevies.

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
I like the Specialized Eskar Control (also available in *lighter* S-Works version). They're real 2.3, weight a bit more than 700 g and are Tubeless-ready (I run them Tubeless and they hold air fine with a scoop of Stan's). :thumbsup: Good grip all-around, rounded profile and durable for pretty cheap, although Specialized has upped their prices for 09.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I really like the WTB Prowler line, MX or XT. They wear kinda fast because they have a softer compound, but that comes in handy in the rocks/roots for grip. They're fast rollers and most importantly, economical.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
I'm gonna try the Big Bettys in the 2.4 with the snake skin. They are plenty light at 980 grams and don't feel too thin in the side wall. I'm hoping I can get away with using them. It save a pound and a half over the 2ply high rollers. If those aren't enough then maybe the UST version since they have another 1/2 pound of rubber in a pair.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
axolotl said:
I'm gonna try the Big Bettys in the 2.4 with the snake skin. They are plenty light at 980 grams and don't feel too thin in the side wall.
Wow, I didn't realize they were that heavy. I guess 980 is light if you're only going down, but I can't imagine pedaling those things UP a few mile climb. That sounds painful! Haha.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Eskar S-works

Hey,

Been riding Specialized Eskar S-works all Summer/Fall/Winter. Hold air awesome tubeless, very big volume, grippy as hell in Pac NW (rooty, wet, rocky!). The are very durable regardless of what others think, I bounce them of sharp roots/rocks every ride and they haven't failed ever.

I have them on all bikes, some in front only as I'm trying the S-Works Purgatory right now on the rear (so far sweet).

By the way, they only weigh 620g, for a tubeless 2.35 tire...

·
Registered
176 Posts
As bad as I want to run the telonix or the excavator, I keep going back to the nevegal because it's a good compromise in weight and traction for me. The telonix is over 1000 grams in the folding 2.4 but I bet it hooks up like mad on nearly anything. I still don't think i have found a weight for the 2.4 excavator but it has to be more than a nevegal. I'm trying the high roller next but I keep hearing it's undersized.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have been having great luck with the Maxxis Ardent:

Part Number Size TPI Bead Max Psi Durometer Weight (g)
TB72555000 26X2.25 60 FOLDABLE 60 60 650
TB74177000 26X2.40 60 FOLDABLE 60 60 855
TB96712500 29X2.25 60 FOLDABLE 60 60 765

Sticks like the Navegal to wet rocks but rolls much easier. Corning is predictable but not quite as good as the Nev... I am running one on the rear only and going to put one on the front soon. Running the rear geto tubeless, never have stopped the sidewall from leaking as evident by small drops of goo on the sidewall. However I don't add air but once every week or so. I know it not the best review, but this tire has not pinch flatted yet, damn Nev flatted every ride if pressure was below 30 PSI and everyother ride if below 35 PSI. Had to run at least 40 to keep rolling. The Ardent runs well (tubeless) @ 25. Below 25 and it wallows big time. I am rolling it at 28-30 psi...

BTW: I also have the BB 2.4...great tire except when wet... will not stick to anything that resembles wet, may as well be on slicks.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
ancientwisdom said:
I am loving the Big Betty's right now. Mine weighed 860g out of the box on my digital scale.
BigBetty for me was 850gm.
maybe the 960 is the UST version?

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
mykel said:
BigBetty for me was 850gm.
maybe the 960 is the UST version?
It is very possible axolotl was referring to the UST BB when he mentioned 980 grams.

I have a non-UST Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution 2.4 that weighed in at 599 on my scale. I'm really anxious to give it a try on our local rocky/rooty trails, hope it holds up!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jerome said:
I like the Specialized Eskar Control (also available in *lighter* S-Works version). They're real 2.3, weight a bit more than 700 g and are Tubeless-ready (I run them Tubeless and they hold air fine with a scoop of Stan's). :thumbsup: Good grip all-around, rounded profile and durable for pretty cheap, although Specialized has upped their prices for 09.
I ride the Eskar control 2.3s also. They are Great. I've had other tires that performed better in mud, but over all, these might be my favorite tires ever.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Personally, I agree with some of the choices mentioned for the OP's conditions and requirements (Conti MK 2.4 Protection, Schwalbe Nobby Nic but in 2.25 & Snakeskin) and disagree with some of the choices especially if the conditions are wet (Kenda Nevegal, WTB Prowler). I'd also suggest Maxxis Swampthing Single Ply but they might be too heavy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.