Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a light weight 11-36t or 11-42t all steel cassette (or aluminum largest cog) for a 1x10 speed?

I had the all steel sram pg 1070 11-36 but returned it cause it seemed a bit too hefty for a 11-36 at 360 grams.

My stock 11-42 sg500 shimano is 430 grams It's largest cog is aluminum. So I didn't see much benefit in losing my 42t cog for only 70 grams? Didn't seem like a good enough trade off am I right?

I think noticed a sram xg 1099 11-36t which weighs 260 grams a full 100 grams lighter than the pg1070 but It has an aluminum large cog, which reading reviews about it seems that the aluminum cogs have a reputation for wearing rather quickly in bout 500 miles you can start to see the degradation.

Is the sram pg 1070 11-36t the lightest all steel cassette in that size?

Can you guys help point me to a lighter all steel cassette? (if not then largest cog aluminum) for a 10 speed by the way.

Or maybe a 11-40 or 11-42 largest all steel cassette (or largest cog aluminum) that is lighter than what I have now?

Basically what is the lightest best value for money on any 11-36 or 11-42 without having to resort to aluminum? And if there is no such thing I suppose the best with the aluminum largest cog if there is no other options?

·
Registered
56 Posts
A Shimano XTR CS-M980 11-36 cassette is 272g and the largest 6 teeth are titanium. If you spend a lot of time in the largest cog that should be more durable than the aluminum cassette on the SRAM 1080 or 1099 cassettes.

The largest cog on the SRAM cassettes is supposedly replaceable, but it’s a pain and you need a 3rd-party replacement. SRAM never actually offered a replacement single cog.

You should be able to swap in a Shimano cassette without changing any other drivetrain components, but you should replace your chain at the same time.

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A Shimano XTR CS-M980 11-36 cassette is 272g and the largest 6 teeth are titanium. If you spend a lot of time in the largest cog that should be more durable than the aluminum cassette on the SRAM 1080 or 1099 cassettes.

The largest cog on the SRAM cassettes is supposedly replaceable, but it’s a pain and you need a 3rd-party replacement. SRAM never actually offered a replacement single cog.

You should be able to swap in a Shimano cassette without changing any other drivetrain components, but you should replace your chain at the same time.
Thank you for you response. That is indeed a very nice cassette. The titanium cogs are in fact stronger than aluminum. But even though I am conscious of weight, I couldn't bring myself to try the titanium or aluminum cogs because according to my research the plated steel on the SRAM PG 1070 should be superior strength and durability wise. So i ended up going with the SRAM 11-36t PG 1070 and sacrificed the extra weight penalty to have an all steel cassette.

After I install the pg 1070 I will report back here on my thoughts & impressions about the cassette. It had all 5 star reviews on It's page hundreds of them so I am pretty sure they are bulletproof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts