Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently began working out in the gym again and I've noticed how weak I've become from lack of training (lifting weights). So will heavy lifting even help me with my cycling? I can only imagine it would help on hills since I ride SS, but 30 reps of squats doesn't seem to really equate to 500 or so pedal revolutions up a hill. Am I waisting my time focusing on the gym? I though it might be better to do a gym workout once a week to keep up my whole body strength and train on the bike the rest of the week. I currently hit the gym twice a week and do an easy road ride for an hour before the gym. Then I do a 3-5 HR SS MTB ride on the weekend.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
As long as you are performing well on your bike, that's all that matters.

But you're wondering if increasing your weight room strength (at this point in the season) will lead to bike performance increase. That's difficult to determine.

I think at this point of the season, you may want to take an easy week, and rebuild to another peak (base, and a couple of short builds) while integrating some strength work (full body workout). And then keep some mild strength maintenance going (once a week) when the bike riding gets demanding.

This has to be planned properly because integrating hard weight room work with hard "on the bike" work (especially with hot summer conditions) may be a recipe for disaster.

And again, bottom line, you have to experiment to see what works for you!!

·
I heart bikes!
204 Posts
Weight training really helps..I only go twice a week (Sat, Tues) and do legs and abs on one day and upper body on the second day. I train abs prob 4-5 times a week...and i ride 5 times a week also, varying intensity on each day....I race on wed nights so Thurs=1+ hour recovery ride...Fri=hill training....Sat=weight training (legs)....Sun=rest or if i feel like it ill do some Intervals...Mon=area group rides...Tues=weight training (upper body)...Wed=RACE!

Seems like alot but since im on unemployment at the moment i get plenty of rest...lol

·
Registered
783 Posts
I found it working the other way round...

Started training again this year on my bike. Hit the weights to work the legs and keep my wobbly joints stable. I was impressed by the amount of weight I needed to add in order to keep the reps low! Lifting what I usually do was like picking up air.

If you can add meat to your legs that'll definately help you with sprints and climbs. Endurance, on bike is pretty much the only way to build those muscle fibers up. Nowadays I focus on giving my upper body a workout to keep some semblance of balance in my physique.

·
Banned
822 Posts
The only guys on my road team who do any weight lifting are our sprinters/leadout men, as far as I know, and they don't do any weight lifting in-season. The skinny/fast guys would slap you if you suggested they lift weights, however.

The team was the #1 ranked amateur squad in the NRC in 2006, and it's sent 7 (or more, I forget) guys and gals to the pro ranks in the last 8 years, so things have worked out fairly well so far.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
No question that you need have a strong core and lifting weights is great for your overall fitness, but sorry, lifting weights, especially this time of year, will not make you faster. Do a search in this forum as well as the racing forum at road bike review. The benefits of lifting weights has been debated heavily over the years.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you currently have a strength deficit then lifting can help.

If you are riding a SS you will find occassions as you ride hills where you need 5 seconds of maximal explosive power from your fast twitch fibers to get up that hill. The lifting provides this kind of power for you. On flatter terrain the advantage to that weight training will go away.

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
One of the better ways to aquire strength that is cycling specific is work done on a single leg. This will increase both hip strength and stability, and greatly increase your ability to produce power in the saddle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.