Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got outta the Marine Corps not to long ago. Was in for 12 years. While in I started lifting weights. I love it now, helps stop stress in its tracks. But while I was in Okinawa Japan I started to do some light MTBRing. Now back in my native California with a lot more hills and stepper terrain, I'm finding that I don't have very much endurance. I can pretty much lift all day in the gym then go home and pick my house up off it's foundation (just kidding) but put a couple of hills in front of me and I become a bag of sand. So my question is anyone here lift (to build) and also MTBR? How did you overcome your lack of endurance? I just don't want to be a sand bag on the trails. Thanks.

·
Stop reading...go ride!!!
81 Posts
By all means keep lifting....just swap it up a bit. Maybe not focus on "lifting your house"!!! Higher reps, less weight. Maybe some circuit training, keeping the heartrate up for the entire time. Mix in some kettlebells.....jump rope? Plyometrics are good as well...just something to keep the heartrate up the whole time. Just my .02. Happy trails.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Wurd...Plus what really works for me is some gym sessions I'll use lighter weights, and rest less bewteen sets (sometimes I set up a circuit), thus keeping my heart rate up.

:thumbsup:

·
3,049 Posts
Just imagine the short tan he has. Impressive. :eek:

OP, it all depends on what you want to do with cycling. Your weight training probably hasn't done much for your endurance legs. A whole new plan is in order.

However, you are asking in the enduro racing forum. If you plan to be ambitious with long rides and races, you'd do well to start by shedding 20 lbs of muscle off your torso and arms.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Change your primary focus...

If you want to see the shift in your endurance, you'll need to change your primary focus. By your build, I don't think you'll have to worry about shriveling up like Rassmussen. ;)

I went through a similar shift in focus about 13 years ago. I was a gym rat, and spent probably a good 12+ hours a week lifting and working out. Was a lean 200+, but also dabbled in racing, but have always ridden. In fact, my introduction into weight lifting came as a result of an attempted strength building phase for cycling back when I was just out of highschool. My Nordic heritage kind of took off the first time I got under the squat rack. ;)

Flash forward a few years, and a back injury and a summer of physical therapy had me rethinking how intelligent it was stacking plates on the rack and or on my back. :madman:

Weighlifting like cycling is addicting and a lifestyle type thing. It took me a few years to realize that if I wanted to be better at cycling I needed to limit touching weights if at all.

So I stopped using weights and instead only did things like push ups, pull ups, and bar dips. That time I now had free from no longer lifting in the gym became hours on the bike. Over a three year period, I managed to slowly lose close to 25 lbs most of which was bulky muscle. Seems like a long time, but when you've spent the previous nine years building lean mass, it's not quite as simple to lose it all.

Bottomline, you look like a guy who probably puts on weight from lifting pretty quickly. If you want to be a better cyclist focus on other strength type exercises, that require very little if any weight, and use the time saved not lifting weights on endurance/cardio related activites. Lastly, be patient, its gonna take some time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cruz...First and foremost my hat is off to anyone who is a part of defending our country or serving it in any way... Although I am not in the armed forces I have much respect for those who were... Now on to topic... First, I'm a Certified Personal Trainer and have been for over 5 years now so this comes from much research and schooling... Cycling and Bodybuilding don't mix... Size is not your friend in endurance type activities... Muscle absolutely is, but bodyfat is not... Outside of the pros out there that looks like the stringbean above we could all stand to use some bodyfat... Smaller = Faster... Less baggage to pull along... It cracked me up to read above someone telling you to shed some muscle... The game is building more while losing the bodyfat... Bodybuilders tend to focus on more weights and less cardio which is the common sense part about your question... If your endurance on the bike is lacking ya gotta bust out the high intensity cardio sessions and attack them like you do heavy chest day when your benching... Bottom line is your body adapts EXTREMELY SPECIFIC to what you put it through... Wanna be better at riding long and climbing high... Ride longer, climb higher... Start slow and build yourself up... Keep tearing up the weights... Cut back a few calories, up the intensity in the cardio and toss your leg over that bike... Any other questions feel free to email me... [email protected] Thanks for Serving!!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hey certified personal trainer...

come on man, why you taking shots at me. ;)

You said:

"It cracked me up to read above someone telling you to shed some muscle... The game is building more while losing the bodyfat."

(Actually, if it is a change in focus, I think maintaining muscle mass would be the more appropriate thing to say...if loosing muscle mass....as you say is so..erhhh wrong!) :eekster:

I merely related my experience and what I had to go through to change my physical being...it takes time. My "unqualified" advice came later....;)

I actually said:

"Over a three year period, I managed to slowly loose close to 25 lbs most of which was bulky muscle. Seems like a long time, but when you've spent the previous nine years building lean mass, it's not quite as simple to lose it all."

Also, not to nitpick BUT YOUR " Certified Personal Trainer and have been for over 5 years now so this comes from much research and schooling" ADVICE was pretty similar to an average "uncertified" Joe like me.

My advice was:

"Bottomline, you look like a guy who probably puts on weight from lifting pretty quickly. If you want to be a better cyclist focus on other strength type exercises, that require very little if any weight, and use the time saved not lifting weights on endurance/cardio related activites. Lastly, be patient, its gonna take some time."

Your "bottomline advice" was:

"Bodybuilders tend to focus on more weights and less cardio which is the common sense part about your question... If your endurance on the bike is lacking ya gotta bust out the high intensity cardio sessions and attack them like you do heavy chest day when your benching... Bottom line is your body adapts EXTREMELY SPECIFIC to what you put it through... Wanna be better at riding long and climbing high... Ride longer, climb higher... Start slow and build yourself up... Keep tearing up the weights... Cut back a few calories, up the intensity in the cardio and toss your leg over that bike..."

Wow what similar messages for the OP!

Also, one last thing. The "common sense" approach to posting useful information on this board is to do it in a constructive and positive manner. When you take cheap shots at others to validate your own comment you leave yourself open to be scrutinized and criticized. Since you've post yer ady and that your business is a certified personal trainer, using a bit of that common sense to market yourself and your service would be wise.

Happy New Year.

Roger

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1FNG said:
Cruz...First and foremost my hat is off to anyone who is a part of defending our country or serving it in any way... Although I am not in the armed forces I have much respect for those who were... Now on to topic... First, I'm a Certified Personal Trainer and have been for over 5 years now so this comes from much research and schooling... Cycling and Bodybuilding don't mix... Size is not your friend in endurance type activities... Muscle absolutely is, but bodyfat is not... Outside of the pros out there that looks like the stringbean above we could all stand to use some bodyfat... Smaller = Faster... Less baggage to pull along... It cracked me up to read above someone telling you to shed some muscle... The game is building more while losing the bodyfat... Bodybuilders tend to focus on more weights and less cardio which is the common sense part about your question... If your endurance on the bike is lacking ya gotta bust out the high intensity cardio sessions and attack them like you do heavy chest day when your benching... Bottom line is your body adapts EXTREMELY SPECIFIC to what you put it through... Wanna be better at riding long and climbing high... Ride longer, climb higher... Start slow and build yourself up... Keep tearing up the weights... Cut back a few calories, up the intensity in the cardio and toss your leg over that bike... Any other questions feel free to email me... [email protected] Thanks for Serving!!!
Hey thanks, I just find that the size of my arms and legs are so huge it's hard to dig in and climb up a hill so I can hit some sweet jumps down hill.

I'm also afraid that while pumping I'm gonna break my handle bars.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
usmcruz said:
I'm also afraid that while pumping I'm gonna break my handle bars.
there is a clysdale part to our forum and they would have good advice on stronger parts for bigger guys.

as far as not having bike endurence, nobody has that. even the gifted start off at a low level and work their way up.

like lifting, you just have to train on your bike. research on the xc training area also. lots of good training points to be read.

keep at it, keep it fun and take lots of pics so you can show us your progress. pics on forums make them more fun.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Roger... Hike up your skirt my friend... First off the reference I made to losing muscle was from the guy above you... I purposely did not use any names as to not call out anyone... Your personal Story had absolutely nothing to do with my post... Practice what you preach you tool, you spent a whole post ripping at me about how much you didn't like me ripping at you which I wasn't... Are you 5 yrs old??? I said nothing about your advice nor did I have any problem with it... Only focused on helping out Cruz... Certainly not advertising my business since none of you are the type of clientele I even work with so with that said go back to cryin like a baby... Go ride your bike...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Wow, really...

I don't see any other posts referencing losing muscle...but maybe I was blinded by Rasmussen or maybe they were edited. Please show me....

I do practice what I preach, if you're so inclined or bored, do a search on my profile and you'd find that out.

I'll go pull up my skirt now. ;o)

Roger

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'd visit the clydesdale forum...

and ask about equipment selection etc. based on your concerns.

I'm sure they'd have great advice to share that could have you feeling much more confident hitting the jumps and cranking on those bars.

Good luck with all!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.