Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Would you ride at Bogus if

• Both Quads were running

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • If the Superior was running?

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • any chair and some bike specific trails?

Votes: 23 100.0%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I posed a similar question to Pete Zimowsky a year or two ago and he said that it just wasn't financial feasible to continue with it. I faintly remember Bogus trying to do this a number of years ago.

With that said, I'd vote "yes" for any type of lift accessed MTB'ing up there. I loves me some Brundage (and now Tamarack cuz I gots me a pass) action a couple of times during the summer, but if Bogus was to offer something comparable to what Brundage has to offer, hells yeah I'd be up there as often as I could.

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
I'd be in for a couple Saturdays a year, at least... lift-riding is a great way to get new people hooked on the sport.

CDB

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course you can build....but like you said in your other post regarding Big Wood we need to get them to come to the table, which is why I started the thread. I'd love to know what the numbers are to run a quad, or even the Superior chair

And yeah...you are correct, our big bikes are bored in the Foothills. Also, I, we, can't get better if there isn't anything to get better on. Why do you think I've been riding that thing uphill???

·
just a man
1,865 Posts
Thanks for starting this poll Al. I'd be really happy with Bogus as a local summer lift-access resort with trails designed by Ian et al and I'd even skip church to help build on a few Sundays :thumbsup:

·
Tetons...ha ha
17 Posts
Bogus is soooooooo milk toasty...

Bogus has by far and a way the most rock features, and differential terrain for really big riding than anywhere else in the Boise front. Ian is totally right if we could build some trails there it would be really cool. I have walked all around that resort in winter and summer and there are features all over the place. Everything gets twice as big in the summer as it looks in the winter time for those who have never walked around at Bogus Basin in summer.

If we had a lift running to help riders access the ridge so that people didn't have to climb to the cabin traverse or top of the face it would be really big. I am certain that they would have several hundred people a week riding the chairs. Five years ago no one new about east side, with little or no advertising the parking lot was packed on Saturday. When we built the old rotten stunts in the bottom we did it because we thought no one would ever come in there, ever, never in our wildest dreams!

So here is my question is Bogus a non profit? Are they tied in with the city and/or Parks and Recreation or not, I have never heard a straight answer on this?

I love this area but damn if some one doesn't hire a decent mountain manager in this region I am rolling home, from where I came.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bogus is a non-profit organization. which is part of the problem, there really is no single person in charge to talk to about getting the ball rolling (or wheels in our case).
ron dillon from wild rockies put in a bid to norba for an n.c.s. at bogus. if they accept bogus, the national will be moved from brian head to bogus next year. the contract would be for three years. if this happens my guess is that bogus would start opening up a little more for locals.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would ride at bogus if there were good trails. I don't really care about the lifts though. I like climbing and enjoy the downhill much more if I worked for it. I love that I can mountainbike all I want for the cost of my equipment. Why pay to do it without the great workout I love?

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
I'm with Allikat. Gotta earn your turns, as they say. I'm not opposed to shuttling Connie, since the ride up is 10 miles of pavement, but I can't say I'd be interested in lift-served riding on Bogus.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes on Lift service for Bogus

I don't have a problem with climbing and certainly enjoy the DH, but it is real nice to be able to shuttle (lift) up the hill multiple times during the day. This gives me the chance to hit different lines and trails (Brundage for example) then having to climb multiple times in a day, which I most certainly don't do. I think lift access just adds another dimension to mountain biking that I certainly enjoy. I also find it easier to get my son to ride with me more often if he knows he does not have to endure a long, and often tough, climb. I am sure he will enjoy/tolerate the climbing as he gets older.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the backside has potential to be a world cup caliber course. It has great terrain and is steep as hell. I dont see it happening, atleast not until global warming kills all ski resorts under 7000'. If theres lifts ill ride it. Im not going to pay to go there and have them expect me to pick up a shovel, like at tamarack. Thats the question, whos going to build it and what will the resort do for the ones who do?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Absolutely. The industry demands it. To say that it is not profitable based upon the experience of running the lifts 10 years ago is unreasonable. The riding style has changed, the bikes have changed and all Bogus needs to do is look around at other ski areas and see the lines waiting to get on the lifts. I have been at Whistler when they have had 1500 riders a day. That's not profitable? Many ski areas with lift served mountain bike access are finding that it is profitable and are now extending their hours from weekends only, to running the lifts on weekdays too. Believe me I speak from experience. I have traveled the last 4 years, racing and riding, at every ski resort in Utah, California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Vermont, West Virginia and Canada.

Regarding those that still like to climb. That isn't an issue. The trails you like to climb on would not be those that people would want to ride down. Most of us with the bigger bikes prefer trails you cannot even hike up, let alone ride up. Climbers and descenders can all co-exist easily on the same mountain. You have trails specific for going up and those that are specific for going down. Easily done and everyone is happy.

·
just a man
1,865 Posts
For those against the lift access, to each his/her own. There are plenty of climbing opportunities in the Foothills already. Climbing with a DH bike is pretty much out of the question and not the point of having one anyway. Correct me if I am wrong, but can't a lot/most of Bogus be ridden right now as it is? Climb to yer heart's content to those folks against lifting--but those folks with a big bike didn't buy it for climbing. It's just another facet of mtb, not worse or better necessarily in my op..

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Oh Jesus, here we go again - somebody trying to play this as a "us vs. them," lycra-wearing, leg-shaving, h0m0 cross country riders against too cool, duded out, baggy wearing downhillers. Bombin, you should know better. I expect that from certain people here who b!tch about us "old school" cross country guys limiting their freeriding opportunities all the time (which is, of course, bullsh!t), but not from you.

Let me clarify: I am not "against" lift access. The question posed by Visi was "would you utilize lift access at Bogus if they had it?" My answer was I would likely not utilize it, but that does not mean I'm against lift-assisted riding. Just because I choose to order chocolate ice cream does not mean I'm against vanilla. In fact, if lifted assisted riding would allow Bogus to make some money in the summer to offset their blowing through cash in the winter and a balance sheet dripping with red, I'm all for it.

As for gabby's comment that lift access would cause user conflicts, I point to Brundage as an example of where it does not - there is one trail designated there as an uphill trail, while the others are designated down only. Hence, no user conflicts.

And, BiB is right - the stuff these gravity freaks would be riding downhill certainly is NOT something I'd want to ride up.

Rant over.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I might use lift access occasionally, but it would be pretty rare. In the 15 years that I've mountain biked, I believe that I've ridden the lifts at ski resorts a total of three times. It's not something that I find to be all that much fun.

While it would be nice for other to have the option, I can't see it being profitable anytime soon at Bogus. Paying the saleries of the lift operators, opening and cleaning the rest room facilities, lift wear/tear and maintance, and insurance costs would make running the lifts fairly expensive. Unless there was a large number of riders willing to regularly "pay to ride" I can't see where Bogus could get too excited about it.

Boise trails are not currently a regional or national "destination." Currently destination locales suck as Tahoe, which also has a massive number of Bay Area, Sacramento, and Reno rider to draw from, has few of their lifts open in the summer. Boise has a much smaller rider base, and woudl expect an even lower turn-out than places like Tahoe, Snowshoe, etc.

While it's a cool idea, I just can't see it being anything but a money-loser any time soon. However, if someone could work out the financials to prove otherwise, I'd love to see it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.