Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lifetime warranty for a used bike with no registered frame

8K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  twodownzero 
#1 ·
Hi all, i recently bought a second hand hightower v2 my2020. The first owner didn't register the frame. So, i did it, just registered with my name and address, proof of purchase.
I think I can benefit with the lifetime warranty, isn't it?

#4 ·
Well, if you knowingly make a false statement claiming you are the original buyer with the intent of gaining financial benefit you are not entitled to under the contract terms, you are committing fraud. Contract fraud.

Given the cost of frames these days, depending on your state it would probably be felony fraud. So if your question is whether or not you can get away with being a felon, then yea you have a decent chance of being able to get away with felony fraud.

#5 ·
Well, if you knowingly make a false statement claiming you are the original buyer with the intent of gaining financial benefit you are not entitled to under the contract terms, you are committing fraud. Contract fraud.

Given the cost of frames these days, depending on your state it would probably be felony fraud. So if your question is whether or not you can get away with being a felon, then yea you have a decent chance of being able to get away with felony fraud.
Yes, you're right, i didn't think about it. I think that SC would have state a term within which register the frame. Otherwise such as these misunderstanding like mine could arise. I think there are a lot of frames and bikes registered by second or even third owners out there. Lifetime warranty is a great thing and it is legit that the the very first owner only can benefit. I think SC have to change something in his registering procedure and requirements otherwise lots of people will register used frames

#9 ·
A lifetime warranty on a mountain bike is a lot different than on tools. A mountain bike can be trashed pretty easily in use so the warranties are of course going to be less than generous. I can easily break a mountain bike in 10 seconds, breaking a high quality tool takes a lot.

#23 ·
I just had to warranty my hightower LT earlier this year. I registered the bike as soon as I bought it and still had to submit the original receipt when I did the claim. I don't blame SC for this. For years people have been claiming the bike still has a warranty when selling a used bike because it was never registered.

If you have trouble finding documentation, you can always reach out to the shop you purchased it from.

#33 ·
Let me throw this into the mix. Recently purchased a new in the box crash replacement frame off Pinkbike. Did not come with receipt.
Where does this fall in line with SC’s warranty process?

I also warrantied a sc reserve wheel that I had proof of purchase for, but have no receipt for the replacement they sent me.

When asked for proof of purchase do I just list warranty or crash replacement?

#34 ·
For the wheel, you don’t have proof of purchase for the replacement because you didn’t purchase it. It’s covered under the original warranty, for life (whatever that means), from your initial purchase of the wheelset, for which you still have proof of purchase.

For the frame, it doesn’t matter that it’s new in the box—you don’t have a warranty on it because you’re the second owner.

#35 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.