Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those here in your cubicles all day, here's what you missed (not a bad thing):

I had business west on I-70. Things were going as usual

Road surface Automotive lighting Asphalt Mode of transport Thoroughfare

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Ecoregion

I passed an electric road sign: "Eisenhower Tunnel Closed, use 6 over Loveland Pass" or words to that effect

And it was true

Cloud Sky Car Vehicle Mountain

I was doing 70 but that was soon to change all the way up 6 to Loveland Pass. I'm sure all the semis in front of me would rather have been on I-70. We crawled slowly up to the top

Speedometer Car Plant Vehicle Tachometer

Cloud Car Sky Land vehicle Tire

My salvation was that I wasn't going into Summit County, my business was photography at Pass Lake

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Plant community

I felt for those on a tight schedule in the parking lot that was 6, both directions

Car Vehicle Plant community Mountain Sky

I did my hours of business shooting, then did some tourist hiking

Ecoregion Outdoor bench Mountain Sky Wood

Up and up I went. I kept looking down at 6 and it was still a parking lot, both directions. I figured maybe I should head back, who knows how long it will take to get back to Denver

Cloud Sky Mountain Bedrock Slope

One last look down to Pass Lake and I headed back to my car

Cloud Water Sky Mountain Plant

I shot the gap between two lanes of basically parked cars and went east. I hoped the folks I passed going west were in no hurry

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I read about the cause when I got back. Driving safe and getting home alive are my top priorities on the road but stuff happens on I-70.

D. Inoobinati, you can check road conditions here: COtrip Traveler Information

Too bad about the truck driver but really too bad about the worker that got hit. It's like CDOT needs to have more training for their workers to always always always be on high alert, always assume that the next vehicle coming by is going to veer into the orange cones, don't be surprised if suddenly there's an out-of-control vehicle veering into the work zone.

Easy to say but it's becoming a distressingly repetitive news story how some CDOT worker is injured by some veering vehicle.

· All fat, all the time.
11,121 Posts
Yeah, I read about the cause when I got back. Driving safe and getting home alive are my top priorities on the road but stuff happens on I-70.

D. Inoobinati, you can check road conditions here: COtrip Traveler Information

Too bad about the truck driver but really too bad about the worker that got hit. It's like CDOT needs to have more training for their workers to always always always be on high alert, always assume that the next vehicle coming by is going to veer into the orange cones, don't be surprised if suddenly there's an out-of-control vehicle veering into the work zone.

Easy to say but it's becoming a distressingly repetitive news story how some CDOT worker is injured by some veering vehicle.
The drivers in work zones need to pay attention.

You can only have so much training to be on "high alert", and try to complete your work in a dangerous area. Most public driving through closures are annoyed because they are losing minutes of their day, out would rather check their phones while driving through a work done, instead of worrying about someone's family member in that work zone.

If you haven't figured it out by my reply, I've worked in Lane closures for 21 years. Many close calls because people don't care.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Shark, you said "The drivers in work zones need to pay attention". Great, but since that's never gonna happen what would you suggest CDOT do proactively to better safeguard their workers? You're in the business of lane closures, surely you've seen where things could improve safety-wise for those on the front line out there in the war zone that is I-70.

· All fat, all the time.
11,121 Posts
"The drivers in work zones need to pay attention". Great, but since that's never gonna happen .
But that is the only thing that will stop workers from being killed every year.

People need to think about their actions. The people working in the roadways are peoples husband's, wives, brothers, parents etc. Think about that for a second. If you knew a family member was working 12" behind a plastic cone, while you do 60mph and tailgating someone.....

And most people working on the roadway are doing it to help the general public. They are fixing bridges, rebuilding road etc etc. That's all for the driving public.

There is only so much you can do to try and keep workers safe. Concrete barriers(Jersey barriers/K rails) are great but they are expensive and only for for longer projects. These have probably saved me know than once. Short projects, all you can do is put out a cone line, reduce speed temporarily, and use an attenuator truck. Extra lighting for night work sometimes helps. Some locations will send out troopers or highway patrol, but that is rare.

Even still, that only gets you so far.

A coworker of mine was killed and another lost both legs when a lady drove into the worksite and plowed them over. I was on that job a week before and the following week. Scary stuff.

People need to care.

· Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shark, you've been on the front lines on I-70 and know firsthand how crazy it is. One time I had a mechanical in my car (turns out my parking brake had seized up) and I abruptly pulled over on C470 on a minimal shoulder to check it out. Having C470 traffic blasting past me was about the scariest thing imaginable. I felt like an ant about to get stepped on.

So the danger to CDOT workers is basically two fold: the speed of the traffic whizzing by and the inattentiveness of the drivers. You can't do anything about the drivers' mindset but the speed of the traffic could be curtailed even more than it is. I know in the orange cone zones I see "fines doubled" for going over 55 mph, for example, but that's applied to the entire work zone. Could CDOT impose even slower speeds where the crews are actually working that day? Even down to 35 with increased enforcement from the State Patrol (or at least the impression of increased enforcement)?

What I'm getting at is: does CDOT think they're doing all they can to protect their workers? Do workers get hazard pay for working on I-70?

· All fat, all the time.
11,121 Posts
It's funny you mention speed. Different states look at it different ways.

Montana for example, will drop the interstate speed from 80mph to 35mph with no in between.

Idaho on the other hand, would only drop the limit from 80mph to 70mph because they don't want to "inconvenience the driving public".

Most people won't speed in a school zone because they know many times there is an officer there to hand out very expensive tickets.

· Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More business west on I-70. I've been documenting Pass Lake since early summer and wanted to get one last set of pics and vids before the lake iced over

Fingers crossed, I left this morning at Butt Thirty...actually Six Forty but who's counting at that early hour?

Automotive design Steering wheel Audio equipment Personal luxury car Steering part

Still waking up

Cloud Sky Road surface Natural landscape Automotive lighting

Awesome sunrise behind me (shot of my drivers side rear view mirror)

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Amber Orange

You've seen this tunnel

Tire Land vehicle Car Wheel Vehicle

I-70 approaching Eisenhower Tunnel when it isn't closed. I made sure to check before I left

Mountain Sky Snow Car Infrastructure

Ascending Hwy 6 in a normal fashion, just me and the views, the sun slowly rising behind me

Sky Mountain Snow Road surface Natural landscape

There had been a good dump up there recently. I knew a snowpack was a given, was the lake still not frozen? Drumroll please....and

Sky Snow Mountain Ecoregion Water

I wouldn't want to walk on this ice just yet but, yeah, ice from end to end. Still scenic as heck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.