Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to buy a used titanium hardtail frame. Preferably from someone such as Litespeed, Dean, or Moots. And i was wondering how they hold up over time. Or, if i was to buy a mid to late 90's titanium frame would it ride as if it were new. Are there any big differences in early 2000 ti frames and mid to late 90's ti frames?

i'm not worried about disk tabs, as i will be using it with rim brakes as that was the only obvious difference i could think of.

Well, i guess thats it, thanks.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
It's like a lot of stuff, it can be abused and/or heavily used before you get it. Quality builds are important, a ti frame with poor welds is still a frame with poor welds. Riding like new? Kinda subjective but ti is resilient, too, so whether you could tell a difference if you could actually compare them, who knows. Chances are pretty good you'd be happy with this route if the savings are important to you over advantages of going new.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Lifespan will vary with factors like design, grade of materials, build quality and usage.

Back in the mid '90s, I was working as a service manager for a Litespeed dealer. One of my customers was an expert class Norba racer who managed to break two Litespeed Obed frames in a span of three years. This guy was maybe 140 lbs soaking wet, but he rode hard, fast and nearly every day. On the other hand, I bought a Litespeed Owl Hollow hardtail frame in '97, and it's still my main bike and rides and looks new to this day. Of course, the Owl was head and shoulders above the Obed, with larger diameter tubing and a massive 6/4 down tube.

If the frame you're looking at has been raced by a sport class rider or above, or it looks like it has seen a hard life, you may want to keep looking. Ti is tough, but not indestructable.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking at a 1994 Litespeed Obed frame, it looks to be in fairly good condition, with no dents or major dings on it.

How about the weight? would newer models be significantly lighter?

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
I don't think the Obed is made anymore, and some of the newer Ti hardtails are a bit lighter, but I guess it just depends on what you're willing to spend and what you can find in your size.

·
Interlectchewal
1,170 Posts
Suspension-Corrected Geometry

Chello said:
Are there any big differences in early 2000 ti frames and mid to late 90's ti frames?

i'm not worried about disk tabs, as i will be using it with rim brakes as that was the only obvious difference i could think of.

. . .

I have been looking at a 1994 Litespeed Obed frame . . .
Looking at frames that old, you'll want to be aware of the geometry and what kind of fork travel the frame was built around. Back then, typical suspension fork travel was around 63mm. You might get away with running 80mm, but 100mm would likely mess up the handling you're going for. Obviously, like disc tabs, this is not specific to ti frames. It's just another thing to keep in mind when considering frames of that vintage.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I had an obed which recently broke on the CS near the dropout (driveside). I'd guess it was about 10yrs old, ridden 3 times a week by a 180 lb rider.
Titus fixed it for $60... unfortunately they wont undertake anything like that any longer. ( look at the titus forum)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
you mean like one of these? I was just given this bike, the plan is to turn it into a single speed. Best things about this are, my friend is so happy her bike has a new home where it will be loved and appreciated, and, I've ridden it, fits me like a dream... Merry Xmas to me...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
formica said:
you mean like one of these? I was just given this bike, the plan is to turn it into a single speed. Best things about this are, my friend is so happy her bike has a new home where it will be loved and appreciated, and, I've ridden it, fits me like a dream... Merry Xmas to me...
Those are great frames. Made by Sandvik in the TriCities (nuke plant technology!), best contract ti fabricators of the day.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,441 Posts
shiggy said:
Those are great frames. Made by Sandvik in the TriCities (nuke plant technology!), best contract ti fabricators of the day.
Shig didn't Sandvik manufacture quite a bit of sports based Ti stuff under their name for a while then actually create a seperate company which is now Titanium Sports Technologies(TST)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
steve47co1 said:
Look for a used Moots - they don't guarantee their workmanship for life for nothing.
Lifetime guarantees are for the original owner only. Moots are nice. I think Merlins have better welds. Thats probally because I have a Merlin. No matter what material a frame is made of, it is just as important to get the right geometry. Merry Christmas one and all!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Some

TST sells some new ones now, check their web site
Kona
Dean
Kish custom
Desalvo Custom
Neslon Ti custom (ntpbikes.com)
seven
serotta has brought back their ti hardtail
Everti

Spicer / Habenero middle men (with great reputations) that buy from XACD in china

or go direct to XACD for $600+ (including shipping / wire transfer fee)

Do some searches at roadbike review and the forums at serotta.com to come up with more names in Titanium.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.