Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you, I have lots of bike stuff lying around and use it to construct various bike builds. I have a ghetto project road bike on which I threw a 25 y.o. wheelset - Maillard Team hubs and Mavic rims, 36 spokes. The wheels are true and the hubs rebuilt but it has occured to me that issues like metal faigue, corrosion, etc that might not be apparent could render the wheels unsafe. What do those of you with experience or knowledge of these issues think - ride 'em or new wheels? It will be a dirt road beater with cross tires. The Maillard hubs are good to go. It's the other sutff I'm concerned about.

Larry

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
ride it and if you have problems replace it. I highly doubt even if old age has gotten the best of your rims/spokes that their would be any catastrophic failure to worry about.

I had a set of shimano road wheels that were 10 - 12 years old and they were great until this year when i really started riding them alot then it got to the point i would pop a spoke 1 ever week so i replaced them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.