Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got a Li-Ion Battery to replace the worn out NiMH bottle battery for my Niterider BlowTorch HID light. It is a 14.6V pack from BatterySpace.com, with two discharge options: 13.2V and 12v.

I had it running my light last night to try to run it down, so I could give it a full charge and then time how long the light would run. I only ran it for about an hour last night after I finished soldering the connections together, so I decided to have the HID lamp on some more this morning to finish running down the battery.

After about 30 minutes, I noticed a whining noise coming from the battery. I turned off the light, switched the battery off (there is a switch), lit the light cool down for a minute or two, and turned it back on. Still the whining noise! I tried it in 12v mode, and it seems like there is no whine, although I am afraid it may start after a few minutes.

Should I be concerned?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
MOSFETs in a pulse width modulatioin (PWM) regulator can buzz. My HID controller has one. If yours has options to hold at 12V or 13.2V, there is a good chance you have a PWM too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help; lol, I'm an idiot. The noise is actually a low voltage warning, that the battery is almost fully discharged. I guess to prevent a deep-discharge. I knew there was a warning, but I just didn't expect it to sound anything like this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.