Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Semper Ardens
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Dave for yet another memorable memorial day weekend. Great ride, and great party!

This year's Saturday ride was a point to point ride, so some car shuttling was the first order of the day. It took a little while before everything was in place, but it was a nice morning and everybody was simply hanging out and enjoying the company of fellow mountain bikers.

Once the cars were in place, the whole group trickled onto the gravel road. No less than 42 riders this year. I think that's a new record, and the choice of route turned out to be a good one with this big a group.

Bryan's giving a thumbs up for the day's ride :thumbsup:

It was quite the experience riding in this big a pack of mountain bikers. I think it is the biggest group ride I've participated in, in a non-race situation.

The first flat hit relative early into the ride, but despite the size of the group, flats and mechanicals didn't end becoming a huge factor at this ride.

This gate ended up being the first logical gathering and re-count point.

I was impressed with the ad-hoc organizational capabilities this random group of mountainbikers fostered, as we all counted out loud before proceding up the hill.

After the gate, the pitch on the climb stepped up another notch, but everybody was addressing it with a BIG smile. Way to go Cynthia!

The climb did spread everybody out a little bit.

But, what a sight. It was like a line of ants marching up the hill, one at a time...

At some sort of a crest we stopped for a little while to re-group; not for long though, the mosquitoes were out in force at this particular spot.

After regrouping it was a quick fun downhill at which Andrea was sporting a slightly dated Britney Spears look. Nice ;)

After that it was a continued meandering through the forest...

...through a little water left over from melting snow.

At one point the grade and continued steepness of the hill coupled with the elevation demanded a little hike'a'bike.

And then it was time for a little break

Our ringleader brought some good Jerky!

...and then made sure that everything and everybody was accounted for as we were leaving post fuel up.

After a little climb and a bomber downhill we came to a fork, and despite all the wisdom in the group we didn't take it!

Instead we debated the merits of the road options, while Scrub played around...

Now, we may have taken a wrong turn at that point, but 1) That's to be expected on a Death March Ride, and 2) It provided for some great views of Meeker.

Shortly therafter it was clear that it was time for some map consulting.

...and the entire mountain bike peloton started back tracking.

After a little while, Dave went down a side road to scout it out, came back, and declared it "good enough". He didn't go quite to this point, though!

The mud hole saw two victims.

The following part of the ride was amazing. The closeness of Mt Meeker testified to the amount of climbing we have done in the beginning of the ride.

Meeker overlooking as the MTB peloton pressed on....

After another climb, we regrouped again, and the options for a "short" or a longer ride was discussed.

I wanted to do the longer ride, but with a loosening headset, I opted for preservation of my headset.

The rest of the ride was a bomber downhill (although trying to nurse my headset), and needless to say, as it applies to most fun downhills, no pictures were taken!

After the ride, later in the evening, several of the day's riders as well as friends of Lyons gathered at the Redstone Ranch for the post ride party.

The garage of couse quickly ending up as the epicenter for all the bike geeks!

Once again, Dave, THANKS for a super day!

And oh, by the way, the set of pictures above is actually only a subset of all the pictures I took on Saturday. I guess I was quite the shutterbug. Anyway, all of my pictures can be found here.

· Bad Case of the Mondays
4,001 Posts
ssperl said:
I guess I was quite the shutterbug. Anyway, all of my pictures can be found here.
Great stuff Jesper, thanks for the pics. It was easy picking out my green helmet, never realized that benefit of having an obnoxiously loud helmet!

Good riding with you again.

· Registered
3,312 Posts
nice pix jesper

cowDawg said:
BTW, is dave sporting a 29er now?
si, friday's ride was the maiden voyage for his new intense spider 29'er... :thumbsup:

...and not that he needs any help at all, but he was like a non-stop tank this weekend up all of those loose uphill climbs.
(edit: as opposed to the downhill climbs). :skep:

· ride
5,235 Posts
Thanks a TON for everyone that came out and had a great time. We definitely blew up the numbers that we were anticipating this year, too. Next year, we'll have a different format to ensure that more folks get to ride more terrain. Anyway, I didn't get to take many photos, but here's a good one. There will be a few more on the Redstone blog over the course of the next couple of days, too.

Attachments

· i heart singletrack
1,527 Posts
ssperl said:
Thanks Dave for yet another memorable memorial day weekend. Great ride, and great party!

Once again, Dave, THANKS for a super day!

And oh, by the way, the set of pictures above is actually only a subset of all the pictures I took on Saturday. I guess I was quite the shutterbug. Anyway, all of my pictures can be found here.
Thanks Jesper for the awesome shots!!! It was great to ride and hang out with you and Jen Saturday. That was a great day.

Dave, thanks again for all the ridin', hangin' and fun. You made a lot of people very happy this Memorial Day weekend!!

Cheers,
MG

· Registered
5 Posts
Fat Tire Fest Photos

What an awesome weekend of mountain biking! Excellent trails, cool people, Dale's Pale Ale, I'm not sure it gets much better then that. Thanks Dave!

Here are a couple more photos to add to the pile - and if you just can't get enough you can find more photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/ifrdr1.

I'll start things off right with the elevation graph from my GPS (mileage shown includes biking back to Lyons from Coulson Gulch).

Text Photograph Slope White Line

On to the biking...

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Glass Car Vehicle door

Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Mountain range

Helmet Personal protective equipment Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle helmet Sportswear

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.