Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the conditions at LM? I have a few hours in the morning to get out. I want to know if I should use the regular tires, studded tires, or stay on the couch?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I wanted to ask the same question but for today and tomorrow (January 22,23). The weather looks promising.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rode LM this afternoon. It was fine on regular tires, a bit of slippery mud at some sections had to go a bit slower than normal, but overall it was ok. It had just started to drizzle while I was riding though, so probably going to have to wait a few days to drain again from the rain.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
sunday morning i rode lewis morris & patiots path. trailage seemed hard to me as you can see it's frozen here on the p.p.

everyone's been telling me the supersonic mountain king's need to be over inflated to avoid the pinch flats, but when the trails are frozen hard its not so great for riding on really hard tires:madman:

·
Registered
679 Posts
LM And for that matter all NJ Parks

The reality is unless it is below freezing and will stay below freezing durignthe day, stay off the trails until Spring is upon us. Reason being is when things get a bit warm, like this weekend and now, the top of the soil will thaw out and get really muddy real quick. What happens next are ruts! This is what people like to complain to Land Managers about, and they have recently at LM! What can you do? Stay on the road until things thaw out and dry up; or the temps stay below freezing!!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Stay on the road until things thaw out and dry up; or the temps stay below freezing!!
Most of my ride was acually on the road as I exited the park and took tarmac back around to route 24 via tempe wick, corey & mendham and I was happy that mtb did exceed 30 mph during that part of the ride.

With all due respect I agree 100% about avoiding the rutege but sunday morning was 100% frozen as you can see in the pic. Also, the lewis morris & patriots path was hoofed up from horses more so than mtb. Furthermore there was a trail run race on sunday and the event sprayed painted on the ground with large arrows similiar to what they did last October in Ringwood. As some one who trail runs and mtb's I hope to never ever participate in an event that puts spray paint on trails :(

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Why not run the mountain kings tubeless. In colder weather bikes tires loose elasticity and require less air to get any kind of performance + like you said on frozen ground ouch!

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Checked out your link. Thanks for educating me about Conti tires and the differences between supersonics and pro--tection. I just ordered the race kings 2.2x29 on Fri. Curious to see how they ride.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
the protection you should be okay. i'd stay away from the super sonics especially here in jersey

conti on the patriot path last sunday

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.