Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
Hagen said:
Thinking of hitting the Lewis Creek Trail in WA this Sat. Anybody ever done it?
By Lewis Creek, you mean Lewis River.

I have ridden it many times: great trail, beautiful scenery. It can be a good "off-season" trail depending on current conditions. Right now and through this weekend it could be prime. By prime I mean dry and cold. The snow level shouldn't be a problem and the cold will serve to harden the ground.

The trail itself is rolling with some short steep climbs/descents, not overly technical, but there are a few places where the exposure is frightful. If you can get to the waterfalls, they are nice.

I would caution that the one thing you may encounter is lots and lots of tree fall.

Please go ride it and report back here, I've been curious.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well, you aren't the only one cause I looked at that post title a few times today and never put two and two together.

I just assumed you ment this weekend.

LOL

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
mtb_g33k said:
What do you mean by that? How far is that trail from Portland?
Exposure to sheer drops a few feet off the trail. Easy enough riding, you'd have to make a big mistake to go over the edge, but going over the edge would be bad, very bad. I try not to think about too much, sorry I brought it up.

It's a good 2 hour drive from Portland.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Lewis River trail is effectively closed by blowdown. we were there a few weeks ago and it was very bad, made it 1.5 miles up trail and there were dozens of huge trees down that we had to go around. turned around as it wasn't worth going farther. it won't have been cleared out by now, that will have to wait for spring and summer. btw, I was with those who do the clearing.

bike oN
bob

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warning red haze. Guess that will have to wait. I rode Siouxan Creek this past weekend which is fairly close to Lewis (as you probably know) and there was alot of debris down including about 7 big trees across the trail which I had to climb over or go under, but it was still ridable. Sounds like Lewis is alot worse. Any other suggestions for a good ride this weekend? I heard from a colleague at work here to try the Whoop Trail around Hood River. Never heard of it. Does anyone know if the trails around Hood River are ridable (i.e. too much snow).

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
red-haze.com said:
Lewis River trail is effectively closed by blowdown. we were there a few weeks ago and it was very bad, made it 1.5 miles up trail and there were dozens of huge trees down that we had to go around. turned around as it wasn't worth going farther. it won't have been cleared out by now, that will have to wait for spring and summer. btw, I was with those who do the clearing.

bike oN
bob
Good to know. Thanks for the info. I've been tempted to make the long drive to see for myself, saved me the trip.
I would be interested in volunteering to help clear this trail, if you have any info on when and how to get to involved, pass it on.
Thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
590 Posts
When Jerry tells us he is heading up there with his chainsaw I'll post on here and see if we can help him some more. From what I saw it'll take 20 people at least 2 days to clear Lewis River, probably longer. I've heard Jerry has cleared Siouxon but will find out tomorrow for sure. fyi Jerry is responsible for the new bridge over Rock Creek on Siouxon, I haven't seen it yet but have heard it is quite a construction.

bike ON
bob

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm staying in West Linn and want to ride Saturday. If anyone is going to riding and doesn't mind inviting an out of towner I'd be really happy to join ya! I have to pick up my kids from the inlaws in Longview after the ride, so I'm open to head that way as well as around the Portland area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.