Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I will be heading to Wisconsin this weekend and plan to ride Levis Mound...does anyone have any suggestions for the ride? How about a campground in the area?
Thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
There is a campground in Hatfield, which is just a mile or 3 down the road from there. I forget what it is called. A nice little bar/restaraunt called the Stone's Throw is near the campground as well.

For the ride, go the the new trail head that is on the same road as the campground but a mile or so north of hwy 95. The campground is south of 95. Follow the IMBA Epic signs and you will have a great time. Make sure you get up on top of the bluffs and ease your way out the the edges. Some great views and usually some eagles floating in the updrafts.

I was there a few weeks ago and conditions as usual are excellent. Take care of the loose sand/dirt there as it can be tricky in some spots, especially on the downs from up on the bluffs.

Cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
705 Posts
All I can say is enjoy it. IMO it's one of the best trail networks in the state. Well marked trails (maps available at trailhead), well maintained trails, good variety of terrain, being 'out-there' factor, trail routing/layout allows for a ride of any length - from 2 to 25 miles.

For solid XC riding - little bit of everything, I'd recommend the following trails (they pretty much all flow into each other): Upper Glen, Lower Glen, Swamp Cut, Yellow Jacket, Goat Dance (I like to ride this loop trail counterclockwise), Fox Hole Run, Upper Hermosa, Hermosa, Lower Hermosa, Dead Turkey, Warm-Up.

The trails up on the mound (identify-able by the contour lines on the map) are fun, but are generally slow going rocky technical trails. Give them a shot if you're into that stuff. Trails like: Toad Road, North Face, Cliffhanger, Switchback, Porky Point.

The only trail that really is affected by rain in the summer is Snodgrass - it has a lot of low lying areas = mud year round.

Here's a couple teaser pics from a ride in early June this year.

Goat Dance - before the climbing sections

Goat Dance - about 1/2 way up

Upper Hermosa (I think that's where I was)

Toad Road (does anyone know if this section has a name?

Toad Road (just around the corner from the pic above)

View from atop the mound - to another point you can bike to (watch the ledges!!!)

Another scenic vista - I believe that's Bruce Mound in the distance (this is about as good as it gets in WI for 'mountains'

North Face - decent rocky chute just after this crest

Cliffhanger

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Dood!

I live in Colorado, and have a bit of a prejudice, but that looks like more fun than a barrel of naked swimsuit models! (Ok, not quite) Nice trails, and nice pics.
Thanks

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Yep, Levis is pretty good. its a local to me since its about an hour drive or so. We just got some rain, so hoepfully that's tamped down some of the dust and solidified some sand. As for loops, just ride! There's LOTS to choose from, and if you have a map, easy bailouts.

well ****. I'd post some pics, but the fockin' server is down. Again.:madman:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.