Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got all the parts for my Leviathion friday and started to build it up when I noticed there is some thing a miss. It looks like the tire clearance is a 1/4" closer to the seat stay on the brake side than on the drive side. Every thing looks right down on the chain stays thought. I have looked at all the simple stuff, bent stay dish of the wheel, but I cant figure it out. anyone had alignment issues with there Leviathans? I am going to try to get a hold of Lens sports after the hollidays I was just curius if anyone had alignment issues with there Leviathans?

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
mantrap said:
I finally got all the parts for my Leviathion friday and started to build it up when I noticed there is some thing a miss. It looks like the tire clearance is a 1/4" closer to the seat stay on the brake side than on the drive side. Every thing looks right down on the chain stays thought. I have looked at all the simple stuff, bent stay dish of the wheel, but I cant figure it out. anyone had alignment issues with there Leviathans? I am going to try to get a hold of Lens sports after the hollidays I was just curius if anyone had alignment issues with there Leviathans?
We've had two of them and zero alignment issues.

·
( )
755 Posts
this might sound really obvious, but, did you check to make sure the hub is sitting perfectly in the dropouts? I have a bike that has kinda tight dropouts, in fact, some bolt on hubs won't even fit in them. I've had my quick release hubs not fit squarely in, so something to check if you haven't already.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
When my friend and I built up his, we thought we had the same problem. However, it turned out that the Rohloff chain tensioner was pulling so hard that we hadn't seated the hub all the way in. It sure seemed like it was out of allignement, but it was just us.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
mantrap said:
Check your drop out/derailleur hanger. I had to replace mine a few months back and when I tried to put the wheel back in I had the same problem. The hub was not seating all the way into the drop out. I had to file away just a small bit of material from the drop out/hanger to allow the hub/axel to go in all the way.

Steve

·
hipneck
108 Posts
same here...

mine looks about 2 to 3mm off to the same side, but looks the same at the brake bridge and chainstay yoke. Im suspecting wheeldish. fwiw the der hanger which also is the dropout was bent about halfway shut in shipping but I tweaked it back into shape.

·
This place needs an enema
16,933 Posts
mantrap said:
I've owned 5 (between myself and the wife) and haven't seen any alignment issues. I've built and sold another 40+, and haven't seen any aligment issues.

Not saying it isn't possible, but the odds are that it's something else. Re-check wheel dish, hub insertion into dropouts, bent hanger, etc...

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

MC

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
Hmmmm, I have a slightly different problem

Just building my Leviathan up. I have an American Classic wheelset, and noticed the cassette lockring rubs up against the del hanger mounting bolt, so bad, when I close the skewer, the cassette wont turn. I tried a Sram 9 spd and a shimano, same thing. I'm pretty sure I have it seated in the dropouts correctly. Wondering if could just be the axle length. I use this wheelset on my SIR9 with no issues.:confused:

·
This place needs an enema
16,933 Posts
Old_Bashturd said:
Just building my Leviathan up. I have an American Classic wheelset, and noticed the cassette lockring rubs up against the del hanger mounting bolt, so bad, when I close the skewer, the cassette wont turn. I tried a Sram 9 spd and a shimano, same thing. I'm pretty sure I have it seated in the dropouts correctly. Wondering if could just be the axle length. I use this wheelset on my SIR9 with no issues.:confused:
For some reason, the new SRAM and Shimano lockrings are more 'bulbous' (leave it alone, Beavis...) than the old ones, causing the contact you're experiencing. Use an older/flatter lockring and the problem should vanish.

MC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the same issue with the American Classics and the lock ring, I just filed the hanger bolt a little. As far as the alignment I tried puting the wheel in backwards to check the dish and it is a little out of dish but it still sits closer on the brake side seat stay. I all so tried to check the alignment with a string running around the head tube and the drop outs and it looks aligned that way. I did notice the set stay bridge is welded in slightly off could this cuase it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Leviathan had the same issue when I first got it a year ago, the rear wheel was shifted to the non-drive side by some amount (I forget the specific amount). This offset was the same with the wheel reversed in the drop outs. Devin had me measure the length of the seat stays and they were different by a couple of mms. Devin sent me a new seat stay assembly, I bolted it in, and the alignment was right on. And a year later it's still spot on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.