Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have deore mechanical disc brakes. The levers are also deore. I am thinking to buy the Avids SD5 brake levers. Do you think it will make significant difference in braking? If not those, what brake levers would you recommend? Thanks.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
SD 5 are nice levers

I have used the SD 7 for a couple of years now, and there are minimal differences between the two. What you will get is better modulation with the SD levers, so depending on what you are looking for in "significant difference in braking", they may or may not be the answer. They won't make the brakes any stronger, but they can minimize or eliminate the "on/off" feel, and adjust the engagement point of the brakes to your liking.

Bob

·
Registered
681 Posts
Although I have Avid mech discs, I used to have them with Deore levers on one bike and SD 7 levers on another bike. There's nothing bad about the Deore levers. They work great. Like Bob said, go ahead and upgrade them if you want the adjustability they offer otherwise I'd just save your money and stick with the Deores.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Levers won't make much difference

In my experience, the Deore Mechanical Disc brakes aren't the strongest (my buddy has them and thought mech discs were a gimmick until he tried my Avids and did a endo and just about ate it!). The Avid levers might help the modulation, but honestly you be better off keeping the Deore levers and investing in better calipers. When it comes to mechanicals, Avid wins hands down (the "high end" Hayes MX1 mechanicals are better than the Deore's, the MX2's are about equal...but both are still well below the Avid's). Larger rotors will help, but by the time you invest in the bigger rotors and adapters, your already halfway to a set of Avid's. Combine that with the money you'd spend on new levers and you have enough for a set of Avid BB5's

Good Luck

·
Registered
256 Posts
another data point...

i have avid bb7 mech discs and *love* them. just recently replaced the M739 (deore xt) levers i'd been using with a set of paul's love levers. first impression is that i think i liked the shi+mano levers better! they were stiffer for sure. i can see the paul levers flexing, which improves modulation i suppose...

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
When I got my BB7's I also bought the SD-7 Levers, replacing my deore levers. My deore levers are heavier and chunky compared to the SD-7s and the levers themselves aren't as comfortable. They're rounded more than the Avid levers and I slipped off them often. Also, the barrel adjuster has a plastc lock ring instead of metal so it work its self loose a lot.

I like my SD-7s a lot more and considering you can find them online for under $30 I thinik its a good deal.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZoSoSwiM said:
When I got my BB7's I also bought the SD-7 Levers, replacing my deore levers. My deore levers are heavier and chunky compared to the SD-7s and the levers themselves aren't as comfortable. They're rounded more than the Avid levers and I slipped off them often. Also, the barrel adjuster has a plastc lock ring instead of metal so it work its self loose a lot.

I like my SD-7s a lot more and considering you can find them online for under $30 I thinik its a good deal.
How about function. Have they improved the brakes overall? Cheers.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
I have used several versions of the Avid SD line of levers. They pretty much all work fine but no real difference between the various versions with the exception of one BIG step up to the Avid Ultimates. When you want your BB7s to work as well as they can the Ultimates and uninterupted cable housings are the only way to fly.

But I don't run mech brakes to save $$. I want the most trail reliability I can get. The Ultimates & BB7s w/8" rotors give my AM 29er more & better brakes than I can ever imagine needing.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Power wise I can't say because I switched the brake set all around. I can say that these levers feel better in my hands which translates into being more comfortable and being able to grab the levers more easilly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.