Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a bike that has a higher leverage ratio on the rear shock not as good of a bike for a clydesdale as it would bew for a average sized rider? What are the technical drawbacks of a higher leverage ratio. do you need high pressure to prevent the shock blowing through it's limited travel. do I have this correct? a trance for instance has a 1.5 inch stroke shock with 4.2 inches of travel so the ratio is 2.8.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
rekibtm said:
Is a bike that has a higher leverage ratio on the rear shock not as good of a bike for a clydesdale as it would bew for a average sized rider? What are the technical drawbacks of a higher leverage ratio. do you need high pressure to prevent the shock blowing through it's limited travel. do I have this correct? a trance for instance has a 1.5 inch stroke shock with 4.2 inches of travel so the ratio is 2.8.
With an air shock the required pressure may be beyond spec, and on a coil shock the spring can be too large to fit. It's also harder on the hydraulic circuits.

I have a couple bikes that have a 3:1 ratio, and have no problems, but I only weigh around 160 lbs. IMHO, if I were a clyde and wanted to run an air shock I'd be looking for bikes with a ratio of 2.5 or under.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
It appears that the trouble starts with 3.0:1 and gets worse with higher ratios. This pertains to air shocks the most. You should also understand that the leverage ratios you, me and Danno have quoted pertain to average leverage ratios throughout the stroke. The actual leverage ratio varies as the linkage compresses.

Air shocks typically have a max PSI of 300, if you have to exceed that to get proper sag, you have to look for a different bike. You also increase the risk of failures associated with seals which are more prone to letting air pass when the pressures are increased. I'm talking about the dreaded stuck down issue with Fox air shocks.

As Danno pointed out, there is increased wear on the damping circuit and there is also a possibility of you requiring custom tuning if you can't get the shock's rebound slow enough or of you're overcoming the platform by sheer weight of your body.

All in all, however, do not despair and don't be too worried. Going with a 2.5:1 average leverage ratio bike, or there abouts, ought to be OK. You'd be better off with a coil shock, too.

_MK

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm an ultra-clyde (295lbs) and am using a 2007 Fuel EX8 that has a leverage ratio of 2.4:1. The original Float RPL shock that came with the bike didn't cut it. So, I changed the shock to the Fox VanR coil with an 800lb rated spring. It's a tight fit but it is definitely much better. In the meantime, I did send the RPL to PUSH so they can work their magic on it. :thumbsup:

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
My old Super V was a tad over 3:1. I weigh about 270-275lbs. The original Fox Vanilla coild with the #850 spring (the stoutest available) was borderline. I had to run quite a bit of preload to get 35% sag. I replaced it with a Manitou 4-Way Swinger Air and it was far better than the Vanilla. I had to run 280psi to 300psi, but could get 25% sag and a better ride. I also had the SPV maxed out at 175psi.

The Giant Reign only requires about 190/150 in the air spring/spv which is surprising after my previous experience.

Bottom line, unless you're pushing 300lbs or more, I wouldn't be too concerned about a shock being able to handle your weight.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking about getting the trance that has a 2.8:1 ratio and I am around 220 to 230 geared up. I have been looking at FS bikes for a while now (low funds) and the trance seems to be one of the most comfortable bikes for me as far as geometry goes. I am just wondering if I should look else where due to the sience of FS regarding shock ratio. If I do get a trance I will be stuck with an air shock I think. I know there are a lot of clydes on air shocks, but are they on bikeswith a lower ratio? I am also interested in the dawg wich has a ratio of 2.5:1. is that small change very significant?

Thanks again for all the replies

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NormanPCN you don't have any issues with higher leverage ratio and your air shock, right? your trance works well for you being a clyde? Does it seem to blow through it's travel.

·
Slow Patrol
438 Posts
The trance works fine for me with the FOX RP3 shock it came with. It was a over damped (compression wise) when new and now that the oil is worn out it is a under damped (compression and rebound).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.