Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the very low leverage ratio of 2:3 is an advantage?

the low LR means that in especially medium hits, the suspension won't be that sensitive...

however some companies say that the lower LR helps in sensitivity in medium hits.

how can that be? i think that the opposite happens...

look at the LR between 10,11 and 12 models.

i think that the 11 model's LR, may be the best... ????

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
It's the damping tune that can be made more shaft-speed "sensitive" using lower leveraged shocks.

More flow allows damping to be able to tame wallow and bob at low shaft speeds and open up sooner, more graduated in precision, when shaft-speeds are accelerated, such as blowing off damping resistance when hitting larger or sharper bumps at the same ride-speed that smoothly but firmly tames bob on smooth trail.

Custom shock tuning can do just about as well for higher leveraged shocks, but the the high quality shaft-speed tuning range is more limited to a specific rider weight and ride interest. Lower leverage suspension can offer good damping tune for a wider range of rider weights and wider variety of interests, whether stock or even more so for custom tuning.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Sure, using whatever spring rate works best on your strength and weight. And is more versatile for external tune adjust range after changing spring weight for different ride conditions.

Quality speed sensitive damping can work better, smoother, with the greater flow from more shaft travel. I think that platform type damping may be more noticeably improved by spreading shaft acceleration and smoothing the platform spike and blow-off transitions mid-travel for improved "sensitivity in medium hits".

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks derby!!!

one more question!

weight 175 lb

shock 9.5''x3'' (cane creek double barel or Vivid R2C)

downhill sag ~ 33%

fork marzocchi bomber 888 evo v2 or Boxxer R2C2

what spring rates should i get for shock and fork?

thank you!

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
thanks derby!!!

one more question!

weight 175 lb

shock 9.5''x3'' (cane creek double barel or Vivid R2C)

downhill sag ~ 33%

fork marzocchi bomber 888 evo v2 or Boxxer R2C2

what spring rates should i get for shock and fork?

thank you!
I've always tried 1 or 2 coils firmer or lighter before being sure what worked best for either fork or shock.

I find this coil shock calculator always gives a firm recommendation that many riders like.
TF Tuned Shox - Spring Calculator

Here's another.
Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V6.0

My favorite is currently down, off the web host.
http://www.igorion.com/_coilspring/

·
staike
217 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something, but how exactly are you making a spring rate recommendation without knowing what frame and suspension design he's on?
I gave him a perfectly reasonable answer based on the little information he gave us. Notice the "probably". I'm leaning more toward the 350 as that's what riders of his weight mostly is using on a 8" bike.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
300 is the most suited. (275 would be good too)

with a little of preload i can have the sag set between 35-30%

the 350, will give almost 30% sag with no preload...it's not for freeride/dh use...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.