Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I crashed and marred up my 6100 Deore levers a bit. Looking to maybe use it as an upgrade opportunity with some more adjustment, as my other bike’s Guide RSCs feel planets better in terms of, well everything. I have 6120, 4 pot Deore with finned sintered pads. Looking to upgrade the touch point a bit. Would the m820 Saints work, or would it be advisable to go for the current gen XT levers, which have a little bit of free stroke adjustment built in. Thoughts??
Thanks!!

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
3,078 Posts
The internet says you can....

"All modern Shimano disk brake levers are interchangeable with other Shimano levers. They normally have the same hose fittings and the same fluid displacement ratio. For example, you can take a Shimano XT brake, and use a Shimano Deore, Shimano ZEE, Shimano XTR brake lever. "

Thing to look out for is i-spec, clamp mounting etc...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had MT4100 levers (non servowave) with MT420 calipers (cheapest Shimano 4 pot) standard.

Replaced MT420 calipers with MT520 calipers (4 pot, ceramic pistons).
Then replaced levers with BL-M8100 XT levers (servowave, adjustable position).
Replaced D03S resin pads with H03C sintered, finned pads.

Any combination of all the parts above will work.

Both levers above have I SPEC-EV clamps.
I also have MT501 levers in the spares box.
These would also work but I would have needed an adapter for my shifter as this lever has an I SPEC-II clamp.

I do not believe there is a substantial difference between MT520, M6120, M7120 and M8120 4 pot calipers. So I used the cheapest - MT520. These were designed for e bikes. You do get prettier graphics on the M8120 tho.
Good feedback on a few forums about the BL-M8100 XT levers and their modulation so I went with them.
I prefer sintered pads. The fins are an experiment and probably not required. Do look cool tho.
I also have reasonable size RT64 rotors, 203mm front and 180mm rear. I have left these standard.
Very happy with this brake combination.

Only issue I have is the easy bending of the XT lever blades. Actually all Shimano levers.
I have some Flo Motorsport levers on order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts